Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Activate: IAP to AirWave provisioning with VPN Server setting

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Activate: IAP to AirWave provisioning with VPN Server setting

Posted Nov 24, 2015 02:44 AM

Hi,

I just tried out to provision an IAP using the VPN Server setting. As far as I understand you can use this setting to configure a VPN-Tunnel to an Aruba WC on the IAP and have the IAP to contact the AirWave server through this VPN Tunnel. This is exactly what our customer wants.

But it didn't work, the IAP didn't contact the WC. So i looked on the IAP itself and found the AirWave settings configured accordingly, but there were no traces of a VPN config.

What went wrong? And as far as I know for a working VPN config we also need the internal IP of the WC for the routing profile?

Affter configuring the VPN primary ip and routing profile manually the IAP was able to connect the AirWave through the WC. Any help or hints would be great!

Thanks & Bye,

Chris

• 2.  RE: Activate: IAP to AirWave provisioning with VPN Server setting

Posted Apr 14, 2016 03:09 AM

Hi!

Did you ever get this solved?

Cheers,

Chris

• 3.  RE: Activate: IAP to AirWave provisioning with VPN Server setting

Posted Apr 14, 2016 10:45 AM

Hi Christoffer,

I wasn't able to get this working with activate - at least for IAP firmware versions that are installed on default-shipped IAPs.

And it was easier to build a workaround instead of opening an other long-term ticket with the support.

BTW: A college accidentially tried this functionality again 2 weeks ago - same result. On the IAP the airwave server was configured, but no VPN configuration... It seems not to work.

Cheers,

Chris ;)

• 4.  RE: Activate: IAP to AirWave provisioning with VPN Server setting

Posted Apr 21, 2016 04:21 AM

Could perhaps an Aruba representative comment on this? What can we expect from the VPN feature of Activate?

Cheers,

Chris

• 5.  RE: Activate: IAP to AirWave provisioning with VPN Server setting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 08:15 AM

Which VPN feature?  For IAPs to contact Airwave for management, Airwave would typically have a public ip address that has port 443 open and the IAPs would point to the public address.  Is that what this thread is about?

• 6.  RE: Activate: IAP to AirWave provisioning with VPN Server setting

Posted Apr 21, 2016 08:23 AM
    As of IAP version 4.2.0.3, we do allow airwave to be placed on a private IP address and IAP will first establish the VPN tunnel before contacting activate. Can you check what version of IAP is used?

Yan Liu
    Director of Product Management
    Aruba Instant
    US: +1 650 996 3520
    China: +86 136 212 16844

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Activate: IAP to AirWave provisioning with VPN Server setting

Posted Apr 21, 2016 08:34 AM

It´s the ability for Activate to instruct the IAP to establish its VPN to a central controller before contacting Airwave we´re talking about. See this screenshot of the configuration in Activate:

Activate-VPN.PNG

I was using the latest GA (4.1.1.12). So this is implemented in 4.2.0.3 and all versions after that?

Cheers,