Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 11:10 AM

I have an IAP AP-93 with firmware 6.2.1.0-3.3.0.0/3815 and auto join enabled.  When I try to add an IAP Rap3 on the same layer 2 switch with the same firmware the Instant ssid does not come up which I would expect with a virtual controller already on the same lan but the Rap 3 never shows up on the virtual controller, wireless does not broadcast from it and the wlan indicator light remains constant amber.  Any ideas why this won't add to the IAP-93 virtual controller? 

I've reset it a number of times.  I've used 2 different IAP Rap3's to the same effect.

• 2.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 11:42 AM

A few of things to check....

Please double check the version of code running on the RAP-3s.  The symptom you describe is typical of SW mismatch.  I'm not sure if 3.3.0.0 has been posted to the cloud based SW upgrade server so the RAP-3 will never find matching SW and will never join the group.

Also double check the port on the RAP-3 you are plugging into.  Eth0 is the top port not the bottom port.  If the uplink is not connected it will not be able to join the group.

How many IAP-9x do you already have and how many IAP, total, are there in this group.  The IAP-9x is limited to 16 per group and it will hold the entire group down to 16 max.   No additional IAPs will be able to join if the limit is reached.

Check the regulatory domain of each IAP.  Only IAPs of the same regulatory domain can join a group.  Ex. -US IAPs can only join a group of other -US IAPs.

• 3.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 12:08 PM

They were running the same 6.2 code.  I downgraded them both to 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.2_36584 to check if that made a difference.  I reset the rap3 and it still comes up the same.  The instant ssid does not show up so I know it must see the virtual controller which is an iap93.  I only have the iap ap-93 running so far and it shows up as the virtual controller. 

• 4.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 12:45 PM
    Since you have 2 rap3s available have you tried getting those two on another segment to see if those come up

• 5.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 12:58 PM

Yes I have.  I can get only 1 of the raps at a time up though.  Once one is up the second one has the same behavior as described above.  If I take the AP93 offline in the first scenario I can then get the rap 3 to come up.  But then I reset the ap 93 and it won't come up with the rap up first.  I'm stumped.  I'm sure this has to do with the rap specifically and that if I added another IAP access point it would be no issue.  I just happen to have 2 spare raps and wanted to add them to make use of them.  Neither RAP will add the the existing AP93 virtual controller but they work just fine if you take the AP93 offline.

• 6.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 02:30 PM

I just tested this with one IAP-93 and one RAP-3WNP and it works fine in my case.

I first upgraded both of them to v. 3.3.0.0.  I disconnected the IAP-93 and did a factory reset of the RAP-3 then disconnected it.  Next, I configured an employee SSID on the IAP-93 and connected my client successfully.  Next, I re-connected my RAP-3 and watched the boot process from its console port.  It did get its IP address, found the Master (IAP-93), received its config and began advertising.

It sounds as if auto-join is disabled but you stated it is not.  Hmm.....is it possible that your DHCP server is assigning dup IPs?  Did you statically set the VC IP address.

You may want to open a case with TAC at this point.  You could also try the shotgun approach and try v.3.3.0.1.

• 7.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:06 PM

I will try this as you stated below...    Console port on a rap3?  Is that just with the POE vesrion because I don't see one on mine?

• 8.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:10 PM

The console port is on the bottom of the RAP under the desk stand.  There are 4 pins you will see.   The console cable is orderable and the part number is AP-CBL-SER.  This is on both the PoE and non-PoE versions.

• 9.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:24 PM

I can't believe they made a specialized serial cable adapter for a single model of access point...brutal. 

• 10.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:32 PM

It is more for specific debugging / troubleshooting.  The thinking was that the end-user of a Remote AP is not an IT person and IT is typically not on-site where the RAP-3 is located.  As such, there was not the expection of users connecting to the console.

• 11.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:38 PM

Fair enough that's reasonable logic. 

• 12.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:42 PM

Hmm.............I am now seeing the same problem.  I rebooted my RAP-3 just to see what would happen and now it is just hanging there with the amber radio LED.   I am going to try v.3.3.0.1 as there is a bug fixed that may apply to this situation.  Will post after I finish.

• 13.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:51 PM

I've got 3.3.0.1 on them both now...  just tried and I get the same thing.  Tried with 2 brand new rap3wn's upgraded upgraded out of the the box.  Very strange...auto join does not work in this case.  Now if I take off auto joint and manually add the mac address of the rap it tells me the "AP is not connected".  It is though I can see it on my router.

• 14.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:52 PM

Are your APs connected to a Trunk port or Access port?

• 15.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 03:53 PM

Access port.

• 16.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 04:31 PM

If I do the following everything works again:

1. Shut down my RAP-3  and keep it off.

2. Reboot my IAP-93, let it come up as the VC and see that it is advertising.

3. Power up my RAP-3.

I see it join and advertise.

Can you try that to see if you are seeing the same behavior?

I am still on v.3.3.0.0 BTW.

• 17.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 14, 2013 04:50 PM

No same thing for me here.  The rap comes up right away if I turn off the 93 but always the amber wlan light it the ap93 is up.  I don't have the console cable to see whats going on with the rap...  I'm going to try this in the reverse with the rap 3 as the vc up first so I can check the console connecion on the 93 at the same time i bring it up. 

• 18.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 16, 2013 12:46 PM

Well I think I know what the issue turned out to be here.  The 93 has a different regulatory domain then I was using on the RAP3's.  I should have noticed that sooner but didn't.  Thank you for checking into this....I'm pretty sure once I get the new ones next week all will be well.

• 19.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 16, 2013 12:55 PM

Yes........that will definetly cause this issue.  Sorry, I should have listed that as one of the causes.  I will edit my initial post to reflect this.  -US can only join with other -US IAPs, -JP can only join with other -JP,  -IL can only join with other -IL, lastly, the Rest of World (ROW) IAPs can join with other ROW IAPs.  The ROW IAPs do not have a country code listed as part of the SKU.

The problem I am running into, while showing similar symptoms, is different as it has a different root cause.  I had to force the problem to happen by moving the link from E0 on the RAP-3 to E2.   This triggered some unexpected behavior that I will be discussing with TAC.  This is something, however, that would not be done in the real world.

• 20.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 16, 2013 03:58 PM

Thanks Marcus!

• 21.  RE: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

Posted Jun 16, 2013 08:13 PM

I should have remember that particular issue since it happened to me and it took me a couple of hours to figure out ...