Controllerless Networks

Contributor I

Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

I have an IAP AP-93 with firmware 6.2.1.0-3.3.0.0/3815 and auto join enabled.  When I try to add an IAP Rap3 on the same layer 2 switch with the same firmware the Instant ssid does not come up which I would expect with a virtual controller already on the same lan but the Rap 3 never shows up on the virtual controller, wireless does not broadcast from it and the wlan indicator light remains constant amber.  Any ideas why this won't add to the IAP-93 virtual controller? 

I've reset it a number of times.  I've used 2 different IAP Rap3's to the same effect.

Re: Adding an IAP-RAP3 to existing network with an IAP AP-93

A few of things to check....

Please double check the version of code running on the RAP-3s.  The symptom you describe is typical of SW mismatch.  I'm not sure if 3.3.0.0 has been posted to the cloud based SW upgrade server so the RAP-3 will never find matching SW and will never join the group.

Also double check the port on the RAP-3 you are plugging into.  Eth0 is the top port not the bottom port.  If the uplink is not connected it will not be able to join the group.

How many IAP-9x do you already have and how many IAP, total, are there in this group.  The IAP-9x is limited to 16 per group and it will hold the entire group down to 16 max.   No additional IAPs will be able to join if the limit is reached.

Check the regulatory domain of each IAP.  Only IAPs of the same regulatory domain can join a group.  Ex. -US IAPs can only join a group of other -US IAPs.

Contributor I

They were running the same 6.2 code.  I downgraded them both to 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.2_36584 to check if that made a difference.  I reset the rap3 and it still comes up the same.  The instant ssid does not show up so I know it must see the virtual controller which is an iap93.  I only have the iap ap-93 running so far and it shows up as the virtual controller. 

Since you have 2 rap3s available have you tried getting those two on another segment to see if those come up
Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Contributor I

Yes I have.  I can get only 1 of the raps at a time up though.  Once one is up the second one has the same behavior as described above.  If I take the AP93 offline in the first scenario I can then get the rap 3 to come up.  But then I reset the ap 93 and it won't come up with the rap up first.  I'm stumped.  I'm sure this has to do with the rap specifically and that if I added another IAP access point it would be no issue.  I just happen to have 2 spare raps and wanted to add them to make use of them.  Neither RAP will add the the existing AP93 virtual controller but they work just fine if you take the AP93 offline.

I just tested this with one IAP-93 and one RAP-3WNP and it works fine in my case.

I first upgraded both of them to v. 3.3.0.0.  I disconnected the IAP-93 and did a factory reset of the RAP-3 then disconnected it.  Next, I configured an employee SSID on the IAP-93 and connected my client successfully.  Next, I re-connected my RAP-3 and watched the boot process from its console port.  It did get its IP address, found the Master (IAP-93), received its config and began advertising.

It sounds as if auto-join is disabled but you stated it is not.  Hmm.....is it possible that your DHCP server is assigning dup IPs?  Did you statically set the VC IP address.

You may want to open a case with TAC at this point.  You could also try the shotgun approach and try v.3.3.0.1.

Contributor I

I will try this as you stated below...    Console port on a rap3?  Is that just with the POE vesrion because I don't see one on mine?

The console port is on the bottom of the RAP under the desk stand.  There are 4 pins you will see.   The console cable is orderable and the part number is AP-CBL-SER.  This is on both the PoE and non-PoE versions.

Contributor I

I can't believe they made a specialized serial cable adapter for a single model of access point...brutal. 

It is more for specific debugging / troubleshooting.  The thinking was that the end-user of a Remote AP is not an IT person and IT is typically not on-site where the RAP-3 is located.  As such, there was not the expection of users connecting to the console.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: