Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Alcatel Controller 4030

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Alcatel Controller 4030

Posted Oct 17, 2018 06:41 AM

Dear Team

I have the alcatel controller 4030. I have 6 APs total, from which each floor has 2 APs mounted in it.There are total three floors.

I want to do follwing tasks, please help me

1) I want that i should make 3 seprate ssids for each floor.

2) APs of each floor should broadcast its own ssid in its floor.

3) When the user of 1st floor visits 2nd or 3rd floor he/she get internet from the ssid of his own floor nor he seprately had to connect from the ssids of the other two floor to get internet access.

Please guide me how to perform these tasks.

• 2.  RE: Alcatel Controller 4030

Posted Oct 17, 2018 07:11 AM

Your third (3) is kind of hard to understand. Are you saying that when a person from floor 1 visits floor 3, he should still reach the internet through floor1 SSID?

IF so, that would probably not work so good assuming that neither floor 2 or floor 3 are broadcasting the floor 1 SSID.

• 3.  RE: Alcatel Controller 4030

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 09:11 AM

@m.umer wrote:

Dear Team

I have the alcatel controller 4030. I have 6 APs total, from which each floor has 2 APs mounted in it.There are total three floors.

I want to do follwing tasks, please help me

1) I want that i should make 3 seprate ssids for each floor.

2) APs of each floor should broadcast its own ssid in its floor.

3) When the user of 1st floor visits 2nd or 3rd floor he/she get internet from the ssid of his own floor nor he seprately had to connect from the ssids of the other two floor to get internet access.

Please guide me how to perform these tasks.

Each floor will be it's own AP group. The 2 APs per floor will be a part of that floor's AP group.

The floor specific SSID will be enabled on the AP group. This ensures that the SSID is broadcast only on the APs that are on that floor.

Requirement 3 is very difficult to understand. Please explain further to help clarify the need.

• 4.  RE: Alcatel Controller 4030

Posted Oct 22, 2018 12:41 PM

In 3rd requirement i just want that when a user from 1st floor visits the 2nd or 3rd floor he/she should get internet access without again giving username and password on the other floors. Controller should know that its 1st floor user and he/she is able to access the internet. There is no need to again authenticate this user.

Is it possible? If possible do guide me.

I hope that you people know got my point what i want to do

• 5.  RE: Alcatel Controller 4030

Posted Oct 24, 2018 02:54 AM

It will have to authenticate when switching from SSID1 to SSID3.

With that said, having the credentials saved for SSID3 on a floor 1 client will probably make the client connect.

What is the reason you want 3 different SSIDs? I believe this is probably an anti-pattern and having 1 SSID throughout your building would be more best practice.

• 6.  RE: Alcatel Controller 4030

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2018 10:06 PM

@m.umer wrote:

In 3rd requirement i just want that when a user from 1st floor visits the 2nd or 3rd floor he/she should get internet access without again giving username and password on the other floors. Controller should know that its 1st floor user and he/she is able to access the internet. There is no need to again authenticate this user.

Is it possible? If possible do guide me.

I hope that you people know got my point what i want to do

If the SSID is different across floors, a user roaming from one floor to the next will be a new association and will require re-authentication.

If the guest/Internet SSID is an open network with captive portal authentication, you could use an external policy server like ClearPass to recognize that the device was recently authenticated on the 1st floor, and then provide a successful mac authentication when the device connects on the 2nd or 3rd floor. This mac auth could bypass the captive portal role for the previously authorized user.

If the guest/Internet SSID is using stronger security like WPA2, then it will be treated as a new/different network and the user will be required to re-authenticate.