Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:06 PM

Greetings! I have an IAP 105 that I am placing in a separate building from the other IAP 105s I have. I have plugged it into the network in the first building, and all lights light up green. I then move the AP to the second building and plug it into the switch. The PWR and ENET lights light green,l but the 11A/N and 11B/G/N lights are solid amber. I tried this with two different APs. They light up fine in the first building, but go amber in the second. The only difference I can see is that there is an additional network switch (HP Procurve 1800) inbetween the APs. I don't understand why the switch would make any difference for the radios? I could understand if there was a problem with the ENET! I searched the forums, and the only things I saw talked about SSID configurations, but I'm not changing any settings, just the physical location. Can solid amber on the radio lights indicate something else?

• 2.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:11 PM

The amber lights indicates that the radios are not set for N but this should be impacted by relocation if the configuration hasn't changed or connected to another switch.

Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 12.19.39 PM.png

Do you have another VC in that other location or segment?

• 3.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 01:03 PM

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the quick replies! As you say, just moving the AP shouldn't cause this problem. I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by VC? But, if you mean switches, there is just the one.

• 4.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:18 PM

They usually indicate that the AP is running in WLAN mode or non-802.11n mode.  Do you still see the SSIDs broadcasted?

• 5.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 12:20 PM

Also...check the SSID encryption settings on the WLAN.  If you have 802.1x or PSK...is it set to WPA2-AES?

If not, you will get the amber LEDs

• 6.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 01:04 PM

Seth, I do not see the SSID broadcast. Yes, it is set to WPA2-AES.

• 7.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 01:47 PM
    Do you have more IAPs on your network ?

The VC is the virtual controller in an IAP cluster

• 8.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:02 PM

Ah. Thank you. Forgive my noobiness! I have 5 other IAPs, but none on the other switch. I just plugged in another HP switch in my office (same model) and tried it again. All green lights.  The only difference is location and length of Cat 5 run. But again, how can that be affecting the radios?!

I appreciate your help!

• 9.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:03 PM

Is the new switch in the same layer 2 segment?

• 10.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:07 PM

yes.

• 11.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:29 PM

How long is that cable run to the switch?  There may be not enough power there.  Please check the logs...in the GUI of the IAP, please navigate to More (top right) --> Support.

Then on the screen, from the drop down list, choose "ap log all" and paste the output in your reply.  If this is part of the cluster, make sure the target AP is the one with the amber LEDs.

Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 2.27.50 PM.png

• 12.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:31 PM

@Cinruskin wrote:

Ah. Thank you. Forgive my noobiness! I have 5 other IAPs, but none on the other switch. I just plugged in another HP switch in my office (same model) and tried it again. All green lights.  The only difference is location and length of Cat 5 run. But again, how can that be affecting the radios?!

I appreciate your help!

Question : The IAP that you moved able to reach the other IAPs ?  Can you reach the IAP by IP ? 

Also can you shared a snapshot of the GUI of the IAP you moved?

• 13.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:51 PM

The cable run is <100 ft, and I am using a power injector that I have moved while testing in my office and the other building to make sure it wasn't the issue.

The IAP is far enough away from the other APs that it can't mesh. 

Excellent question about the AP being able to be reached by IP and getting info from the UI. Since the ENET light was green, I assumed all was good on the networking side. Apparenlty not. The AP does not show up in the management console. I have no idea why that would be. What next? Should I assign it a static IP when it is connected to the management console and then move it to the remote location again? 

• 14.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:54 PM

How are the IAPs getting their IP assignment ?

Make sure that the IAP is in the same VLAN/ IP Segment as the other IAPs .

• 15.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 03:03 PM

It is a completely flat network. No vlans yet. I will plug into the switch and see what I get. I'll post the results. Thanks guys!

• 16.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 04:09 PM

Well, I am plugged into the remote switch with my laptop, and I pulled an IP address fine. I can ping and manage all of the other IAPs while connected to the switch. Yet the IAP still shows two amber lights for the radio.

Are you guys saying that the amber lights have to mean network connectivity issues? I would have thought that the ENET light would have been the one turning amber. Oh well. I guess I can try replacing the switch. What's a little downtime for a few teachers? :smileywink:

• 17.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 04:10 PM

I don't think it's the network but something is going on either with PoE or something else where the AP cannot see the rest of the cluster.  Can you find out the IP the IAP does get and then web to it?

• 18.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 04:51 PM

For power, I am using a power injector. I have used the same power injector and IAP in my office, and they work fine. I have swapped out IAP with another in the remote location, and it acts exactly the same, two amber radio lights. 

I just upgraded the firmware to 6.2.1.0-3.4.0.0. I also had one SSID that was hidden. I changed it to broadcast. Still has two amber radio lights!

• 19.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

Posted Jul 26, 2013 04:53 PM

I don't know if the remote IAP gets an IP or what it is as the management console doesn't see it. I would think if it wasn't pulling an IP, the ENET light would indicate a problem, but that is just guessing on my part!

• 20.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 26, 2013 05:54 PM

Thank you all for helping me play the little game I like to call "where did my day go?"

I went ahead and swapped out the switch and the IAP started working perfectly! So, I learned that the radio lights do not necessarily have anything to do with the radio!

I am truly appreciative of all of the suggestions! This forum is the most active support site I have ever experienced!:smileyhappy:

• 21.  RE: Amber 11A/N and 11B/G/N from relocation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2013 02:54 PM

I would plug into the same port and see if you can ping the rest of the cluster?  Do you get an IP?  Is it in the same network?