Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple TV on IAP?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 13, 2012 09:42 AM

Trying to get Airplay to work on an IAP. My policy is set to allow all traffic. If I join my PC to the SSID I can ping all the clients so Client Isolation is not on, but doing a capture I see no MDNS or Bonjour traffic. I am grasping at straws at this point. Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 13, 2012 12:54 PM

Are both devices in the same layer 2 subnet?

Check to make sure you are not filtering out the broadcast/multicast in the SSID settings. Go to your Network and click on edit, on the Basic Info tab click on Show Advanced Options.

I just tested mine and it works fine with these settings. 

• 3.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 13, 2012 01:38 PM

If I leave DHCP on "Virtual Controller Assigned" so the IAP supplies the address and NAT's the clients it doesn't work. This way the clients are all in the same subnet (192.168.11.x/24) and I can control the size of my broadcast domain. If I set Client IP assignment to Netork-Default, then Airplay works. I'd like to use it like a SOHO AP where it hands out client IP's and I have isolated the Airplay devices.

• 4.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 13, 2012 01:40 PM

I'm not sure if the IAP has High Throughput or not, but I had the same problem on a AP-105 and had to disable High Throughput on the SSID to get the Airplay working.

• 5.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 13, 2012 02:08 PM

I just enabled  Legacy only on both radios and I am still seeing the problem. Mine is and IAP 135 running 6123

• 6.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2012 03:12 PM

Virtual controller assigned puts clients on an internal network on the IAP.  That is separate from the Network assigned, which most likely is your LAN.  Bonjour only works with clients on the same layer2 subnet.  The Upcoming Airgroup feature will solve this for IAP.  Meanwhile, you need to have your clients on the same vlan as the bonjour devices they need to reach.

• 7.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 13, 2012 03:24 PM

So the DHCP assigned by the IAP that only exists on that IAP is not considered Layer 2? I can buy a $30 SOHO device configured to do the same thing and it works fine. I spent weeks doing beta testing Airgroup for Aruba and I can tell you, they have a long way to go. Hence my attempt to get this IAP to work like a SOHO device.

• 8.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 14, 2012 12:36 PM

Basic Bonjour on IAP with network-assigned IP addresses would work, if the Bonjour devices are in the same vlan.

But, guest ssid clients are treated separately in a private vlan, such that they don't see any mcast from network devices; hence, does not work with external bonjour clients, unless the bonjour devices too get IP from the ap's internal guest-vlan.

That said, we are working on designing and implementing a distributed algorithm in IAPs for enabling Bonjour device discovery across vlans. We are targeting beta by Aug, and a full FCS by end of the year.

• 9.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 14, 2012 02:42 PM
    When you say Guest ssid, are you including employee ssids? All bonjour devices are on the same iap.

• 10.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 14, 2012 02:46 PM

Guest SSID is seperate from Employee SSID in all cases.

So even though the Apple iOS devices are on the same physical iAP, they are in different VLANs/networks and thus Bonjour (with its inherent/native limitations) won't transit the "boundary" between the user groups as-is today.

• 11.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 15, 2012 08:59 PM

Q: If you use an external DHCP server and putt both SSID's Guest and Employ to get DHCP from the external server on the same VLAN wouldn't that be a work around for the issue?

• 12.  RE: Apple TV on IAP?

Posted Jul 16, 2012 07:02 AM

Both the IPAD and AppleTV are on the same SSID on the same IAP. I need the DHCP to remain on the IAP.