Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

Posted Apr 24, 2017 12:27 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to update the certificate for Captive Portal through Aruba Central so i can finally update the IAP firmware.

I decided to get a Public Certificate from a Certificate Authority so user's wouldn't have any security errors when getting access to internet.

To create the certificate i followed the steps from this "How To" that i found after reading a post in the forum;

"How to Create a Certificate for Instant Captive Portal using Open SSL and a Certificate Authority"
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-Create-a-Certificate-for-Instant-Captive-Portal-using/ta-p/277025

I managed to install a certificate through Aruba Central and then assign it to Captive Portal and Auth Server.

Now, when android and windows users connect to the network they get a Security Warning, they can continue but get a “Untrusted certificate” message in the browser.

If I check the certificate I am warned that the website doesn’t match the certificate name. I had to create the certificate with the common name of a domain I have access to, in this case it was wifi.xxx.xx.

Is this the right procedure to generate a certificate for Aruba Central Captive Portal?

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 02:23 PM

Do you have a publicly signed certificate?

• 3.  RE: Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

Posted May 24, 2017 07:13 AM

Yes, its a publicly signed certificate from Comodo.

I have tried to change the Aruba Central > Guest Access > Splash Page Configuration > Override Common Name to match the one used to generate the Public Certificate (wifi.xxx.xx).

The Certificate Usage Type is Auth Server and Captive Portal.

Android phone users get the following error when connecting:

Name of the web site doesn’t match the one in the certificate.

Emited for:

Common Name:

wifi.xxx.xx

Any ideia why is this happening with Android phones?

• 4.  RE: Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

Posted Jun 06, 2017 01:15 PM

Hello SPB:

Have you found the solution to this issue? I am getting trouble with this situation too. And  the Aruba Central documentation does not help at all.

Thank you in advance

• 5.  RE: Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

Posted Jun 08, 2017 12:57 PM

Hi aaronmacias:

Not yet, but i'm corrently working on finding a solution with aruba support. I will get you posted if i get any solution.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

Posted Jun 08, 2017 01:27 PM

Thanks a lot SPB:

I appreciate your help.

I will try with a certificate from Geo trust, I hope it works.

Good day.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

Posted Apr 16, 2018 06:47 AM

Hi,

Did you manage to resolve this?

• 8.  RE: Aruba Central, Guest Access Captive Portal certificate

Posted Apr 16, 2018 10:41 AM

Hello rickard_s

Im currently in the process of generating a new certificate from GeoTrust. After that I will upload the certificate to Aruba Controller. As soon as I get the outcome I will let you know.