Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor I

Aruba IAP-105 and Cisco 3750 Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

We are about to deploy the Aruba IAP-105s firm wide to the tune of about 200 APs.  I have been having issues with my pilot group where the IAP-105 suddenly fail.  Fail in the sense that they no longer are able to pull Power from the switch.  The switch reports 

ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi1/0/15: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

which basically means the switch sees the device trying to pull more power than it can support.  Now I have 10 other APs connected the same type of switch running the same IOS.  The failures have no pattern.  Today I had a 4th one fail in this manner.  Once they fail they will work only if they are powered externally.  

I had a second one fail today as well.  This was the one that I used to replace the failed one.  I did plug it back into the same port and it failed about an hour later.  I have had APs fail on other ports so it isn't isolated to a single port or switch. However,  the second one to fail today will work if it is connected to a Cisco 3750-x which supports up to 30mw of power per port.

I have changed switches, cables, IOS on the switch and the IAP.

Anyone having similar issues or know of anyone that is.

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Aruba IAP-105 and Cisco 3750 Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

I am running the latest Aruba IOS 6.2.1.0-3.3.0.1_38408. Everythign else works like a charm,

Re: Aruba IAP-105 and Cisco 3750 Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

How many ports that switch has available ?

Do you have any other PoE devices attach to that switch ?

When that happens can you check the total power inline available on the switch ?

The Cisco will give the Aruba AP the maximum amount of power available on that power even if the AP doesn't need it .

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Occasional Contributor I

This has ocured on both 24 and 48 port 3750s.

The switches are not fully populated

Module Available Used Remaining
                (Watts) (Watts) (Watts)
------           --------- -------- ---------
1                   370.0 79.9 290.1

There is plenty of power unused.  This isnt an issue with the swtich being overloaded.

You could also try extending initial power delay on the Cisco switch : power inline delay shutdown 20 initial 100

Cisco Inline Power PoE Commands - Google Chrome_2013-06-07_09-24-00.png

For certain IEEE Power Devices that require multiple reloads during initialization, you can set a delay shutdown time to configure the switch to continue providing power during initialization.

Hope this works.

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Occasional Contributor I

That for the suggestion. Unfortunately my 3750G-24PS does not support that command.  I do have a TAC case open with Cisco.  It seems to be similar to this;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/157276

However the issue is sporadic.  I have 10 or AP that are currently working fine.

Frequent Contributor II

I recently had the same issue with an AP that was working fine, along with 15 other AP's, on the same 3750x switch.  I'm running v12.2(55)SE5 code.  I received about 4K messages in a 12 hour period about that particular AP and switchport.  I found this link that suggested making a config change to address the issue. I made that change and so far so good - the AP is up again and the errors stopped.  It's only been a few days so it hasn't baked in fully yet but may be worth a try if your switch supports POE+.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27050?referring_site=facebook&channel=CiscoSupportCommunity

Thanks,

Ian

MVP

We have not yet had that problem with well over 300 iAP installed, but we see it all of the time with the IP Cameras we're also installing.

In our lab we've been able to (mostly) correlate the issue to line-length/termination quality and find that the power inline 2X mode change makes it work in most cases.

Good luck.

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
Frequent Contributor II

I've had it happen to an addtional two other AP's recently (one AP and one IAP) at different locations.  When it happens to us, the AP's have to be replaced to get it to work again.  Changing that setting to 2x doesn't help with our 3750x switches.  Replacing the faulty AP fixes it :)

Ian

Guru Elite

istong wrote:

I've had it happen to an addtional two other AP's recently (one AP and one IAP) at different locations.  When it happens to us, the AP's have to be replaced to get it to work again.  Changing that setting to 2x doesn't help with our 3750x switches.  Replacing the faulty AP fixes it :)

Ian

istong, 

Please check with support.  There is a specific configuration that might create that issue.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: