Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

Posted Dec 18, 2015 09:14 AM
      |   view attached

I have just a baisc instant cluster setup with three SSID's: Staff, Student and Guest network.  At random, an AP will periodically stop handing out IP addresses to our Staff and Student VLAN and sometimes others will reboot.  The Studnet and Staff are using the network assigned default VLAN and I attatched the screen shot of the fault history.  I'm not sure what I may have configured wrong, but I can't seem to find the answer. 

Also this is the verison I'm currently running with the IAP 205's: 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.0_46028

• 2.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 10:02 AM
    Execute "show log system" on that access point to get a possible clue.

• 3.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:12 AM

I believe the reboot problem has been resloved.  However, I still can't seem to figure out why sometimes an AP will need to be restarted to allow a client to get an IP from the DHCP server.  Clients are connected to the correct SSID, but have limited access because they get a 169 address.  Guest users are able to get online and have no problems when the issue is apparent.  

• 4.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:15 AM

Are all of the access points, wireless and wired clients on the same subnet?

Do you have Broadcast Filter ARP enabled in the Advanced Portion of your SSIDs?

• 5.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:19 AM

Correct they are on the same subnet and yes on both SSID's in the advanced setting Broadcast Filter ARP is enabled.  

• 6.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:21 AM

How many IAPs do you have in that configuration?

• 7.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:37 AM

Okay.  How big is that subnet?  And how many clients are on it?  For better performance, it is advised to keep the wireless clients and the wired devices on a different subnet.

• 8.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:33 AM

I have 22 all of which are the IAP 205's.

• 9.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:44 AM

I should mention that after rebooting the AP clients are able to connect. 

The subnet has over 900 available IP addresses with 300 wireless clients and about 30 plus wired.

• 10.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:47 AM

You might want to consider upgrading to 4.1.1.11 during a maintenance window, because it deals with a number of stability issues, and it could possibly  deal with yours.

• 11.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

Posted Dec 18, 2015 12:21 PM

Where can I get the updated firmware?  When I click check for new firmware I get no response from server.

• 12.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 12:25 PM

Your version of code has a bug (fixed in 4.1.1.3) that does not allow it to connect to look for and download updates.  I will send you the 4.1.1.11 version for the 215

• 13.  RE: Aruba IAP 205's - Clients on network VLAN can't get IP

Posted Oct 21, 2022 10:03 AM
    Any resolution to this problem.  I am not have the same issue and cannot figure out what it going on.  An IAP-205 will just start loosing wifi connections and clients giving themselves 169.x.x.x addresses.  Reboot fixes.  Happening daily.