Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Instant AP 105's

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba Instant AP 105's

Posted Feb 09, 2012 03:31 PM

Deploying these as a small branch office solution.  We will not point these back to a master controller.  Want one of AP 105's acting as a virtual controller.  I have about 3 per site.  I added the MAC address to DHCP so it gets a local IP.  Do I need to designate 1 of them and add the IP with DHCP option 43?.. my concern is if that AP goes down, that DHCP option will not work anymore.  I know it will switch Virtual controller roles if the primary elected master goes down.  Also, I am setting these up at a different location and will ship them already configured with SSID's, security, etc..do all 3 need to be setup or just 1? (does it get its configure from the virtual controller?)

• 2.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 105's

Posted Feb 09, 2012 03:54 PM

Hi RR8,

One way to do this would be to configure one IAP with required configuration and ship the other two in default state. At the local site, plug in the configured IAP first and this will become master VC. Once the others are up, they will get the desired configuration from the VC. This is only required for the first time you bring up the network. Once it is up, all IAPs will be synchronized with the configuration and image from that point on.

If you bring all three IAPs up at the same it, there is no guarantee which one will become the master since the election process is transparent to the user. You will not be able to control which one becomes the virtual controller.

All three IAPs will have to be in the same IP subnet.

I hope this answers your question.

Shashi

• 3.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 105's

Posted Feb 09, 2012 03:57 PM

thanks, so i dont need DHCP options 43 pointing to any of the IAP's?

• 4.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 105's

Posted Feb 09, 2012 03:59 PM

DHCP option 43 is used if you want to point the IAP network to an AirWave management system.

Will you be using AirWave? If so, I can describe how to do this.

S

• 5.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 105's

Posted Feb 09, 2012 04:01 PM

we currently use this option to point remote offices with 1 or 2 AP's to the master controller located at the corporate headquarters.  I config'd the IAP with Airwave already.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Instant AP 105's
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 09, 2012 04:08 PM

IAPs don't need to reach any controller. This option is not required for IAPs. The virtual controller on the IAP provides all the functionality required for the IAP network.

Shashi