Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Assigning SSIDs per IAP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Assigning SSIDs per IAP

Posted Jul 07, 2014 12:54 PM

Quick question:  If I have a 2 IAP cluster, and I have four SSIDs assigned to the cluster, can I prevent one of the IAPs from broadcasting one of the SSIDs? Or is aruba's approach all or nothing? Essenstially, I'm looking to put in an override in Instant OS to ignore one of the SSIDs and have it not be broadcast on a specific AP.

Thanks,

-Ryan

• 2.  RE: Assigning SSIDs per IAP
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2014 01:00 PM
      |   view attached

You can use the "zone" functionality of InstantOS 4.1.  It allows you to set a zone with each SSID and then assign each IAP to a zone.  Those with matching zones will advertise the appropriate SSIDs.   See attached release notes.

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Assigning SSIDs per IAP

Posted Jul 07, 2014 01:04 PM

It reads as though the one zone per SSID rule may not work for my setup.

For example.. What I'm trying to accomplish is the following:

AP1: SSID1, SSID2, SSID4

AP2: SSID2, SSID3, SSID4

• 4.  RE: Assigning SSIDs per IAP
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 07, 2014 01:07 PM

For your specific setup:

SSID2 and SSID4 = No Zone (all IAPs advertise)

SSID1 = Zone A

SSID3 = Zone B

IAP1 = Zone A (will advertise SSID1 as part of zone and SSID2 and SSID4 since they have no zone)

IAP2 = Zone B (will advertise SSID3 as part of zone and SSID2 and SSID4 since they have no zone)

• 5.  RE: Assigning SSIDs per IAP

Posted Jul 07, 2014 01:10 PM

Ah, I got it. I'm surprised this wasn't implemented in reverse. This type of setup is significantly less flexible than just assigned SSIDs to radios and/or entering overrides (I'm upgrading some Ubiquiti gear to Aruba gear and want to plan the implementation).

In any case, thanks for the info!