Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Band steering is Causing Connection Drops with iOS Devices

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Band steering is Causing Connection Drops with iOS Devices

Posted Dec 19, 2015 08:53 AM

Hi All -

I've been getting several complaints from iOS/iPad users when bandsteering is enabled.  I've seen this occur in action a few times but the iOS device will connect momentarily, drop and reconnect to WiFi...sometimes this will occur several times throughout a given time period.

Turning off Band Steering resolves the connection drops but obviously no longer steers clients to the faster 5.0 GHz connection.

I don't believe it to be an issue with client load - only 20-30 devices (40 max) would ever be connected to the 4 IAP 225s.   The IAP 225s themselves are located in a 3,500 sq ft location with 2 on the first floor and 2 on the second floor.

Any ideas on what I can check or reconfigure to allow band steeering to work without the multiple connection drops?

802.11R, K & V are enabled as well for the single SSID that's configured.

Thanks

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Band steering is Causing Connection Drops with iOS Devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2015 09:01 AM

If you are running ArubaOS 6.3 or newer, Client Match is enabled by default which replaces band steering. Please disable band steering on all of your virtual APs. 802.11k, r are not really necessary. 802.11v can help with Client Match in 6.4.3.X and above. Making the min and max arm power match the output power range of your clients has a greater effect on all of your clients, overall. Enabling 802.11k and r are not a panacea and if your RF is not right, they will not save you.

UPDATE 6/2018 -  The updated RF and Roaming Optimization Validated Reference Design Guide (VRD) has been published and has updated recommendations about enabling 802.11v, k and r in user networks.  The VRD can be found here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/432994

• 3.  RE: Band steering is Causing Connection Drops with iOS Devices
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2015 09:21 AM

Long story short;

Disable 802.11r and 802.11k.

Read the post here:   http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 and see if it can give you any ideas about what you can do.

UPDATE 6/2018 -  The updated RF and Roaming Optimization Validated Reference Design Guide (VRD) has been published and has updated recommendations about enabling 802.11v, k and r in user networks.  The VRD can be found here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/432994

• 4.  RE: Band steering is Causing Connection Drops with iOS Devices

Posted Dec 19, 2015 01:07 PM

Thanks - I'll disable 802.11K and R and also disable Band Steering.

I wasn't aware Client Match was the best practice- not sure if I missed it in the guide or if I had an old version where it wasn't mentioned.  Regardless, thanks for the information this helps.

• 5.  RE: Band steering is Causing Connection Drops with iOS Devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 19, 2015 02:21 PM

Client Match was developed after band steering. Band steering only works on association to steer a dual band client to the 5ghz. Client match works constantly even after a client has associate to steer and to load balance. Steering can move a client to the correct band, but also move it to an access point that can see it better.

Please see the article here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Why-client-match-is-not-working-well-on-some-users/ta-p/234533