Controllerless Networks

Contributor I

Band steering is Causing Connection Drops with iOS Devices

Hi All -

I've been getting several complaints from iOS/iPad users when bandsteering is enabled.  I've seen this occur in action a few times but the iOS device will connect momentarily, drop and reconnect to WiFi...sometimes this will occur several times throughout a given time period.

Turning off Band Steering resolves the connection drops but obviously no longer steers clients to the faster 5.0 GHz connection.

I don't believe it to be an issue with client load - only 20-30 devices (40 max) would ever be connected to the 4 IAP 225s.   The IAP 225s themselves are located in a 3,500 sq ft location with 2 on the first floor and 2 on the second floor.

Any ideas on what I can check or reconfigure to allow band steeering to work without the multiple connection drops?

802.11R, K & V are enabled as well for the single SSID that's configured.

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: Band steering is Causing Connection Drops with iOS Devices

If you are running ArubaOS 6.3 or newer, Client Match is enabled by default which replaces band steering. Please disable band steering on all of your virtual APs. 802.11k, r are not really necessary. 802.11v can help with Client Match in 6.4.3.X and above. Making the min and max arm power match the output power range of your clients has a greater effect on all of your clients, overall. Enabling 802.11k and r are not a panacea and if your RF is not right, they will not save you.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

Long story short;

Disable 802.11r and 802.11k.

Read the post here:   http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 and see if it can give you any ideas about what you can do.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Thanks - I'll disable 802.11K and R and also disable Band Steering.

I wasn't aware Client Match was the best practice- not sure if I missed it in the guide or if I had an old version where it wasn't mentioned.  Regardless, thanks for the information this helps.

Guru Elite

Client Match was developed after band steering. Band steering only works on association to steer a dual band client to the 5ghz. Client match works constantly even after a client has associate to steer and to load balance. Steering can move a client to the correct band, but also move it to an access point that can see it better.

Please see the article here: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/Why-client-match-is-not-working-well-on-some-users/ta-p/234533

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: