Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Best practice to deploy new firmware

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Best practice to deploy new firmware

Posted Feb 25, 2014 10:19 AM

Hello.

I'd like to proceed to deploy the new firmware 4.0.0.1 for the IAP-105 in my environment through AMP Airwave,

I'll obviously test it in our test env, and then I'll need to send it out on all my sites.

I actually have 55 sites with 350 AP installed, with the following organization (in Airwave)

TOPGROUP (where I set the firmware version)

CITY01 (Subgroup)

SITE01

SITE02

CITTY02 (Subgroup)

SITE03

SITE04

Especially at the beginning, I'd like to update few sites each night, in order to avoid a massive update and may be a massive problem.

From your experience, which is the best way to proceed here? Do you have any suggestion in order to proceed with a safe updatre?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Best practice to deploy new firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2014 12:34 PM

Hi there, 4.0.0.4 was posted yesterday and should be reviewed as there are a number of fixes in it .

In large deployments, I generally create a new group in Airwave, import the config and then push the firmware to this group only. I like to keep the test environments segmented. This lets you keep the fw version restricted in your production groups and limits any potential issues to the handful of sites you've segmented.

I'm sure there is 100 ways to this, but this keeps it clean, no messing with existing groups etc.

Just my $0.02.....CDN which is really only $0.0178 USD :)

Cheers, Adam

• 3.  RE: Best practice to deploy new firmware

Posted Feb 25, 2014 12:44 PM

Thanks Adam.

Let me recap to see if I well understood:

- you create a copy of the group TOPGROUP to a TOPGROUP-v4

- then, you assign the new firmware version to the grooup TOPGROUP-v4

- you move few subgroups from the old TOPGROUP to the new one, so you can keep under control the updates

- once you finished, you remove the TOPGROUP and possibly rename the new one as the old one

Thanks for your CDN cents...;-)

• 4.  RE: Best practice to deploy new firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 25, 2014 12:50 PM

Create a new group, "TESTFIRMWARE"....move a few DEVICES to the group...by editing the device with the wrench icon. Enable the IGC functionality in the new group and then you can upload and push the firware to the group.

Once you've confirmed your selected devices are operating as expected, you can either upgrade the rest of the groups via a F/W push and then move the devices BACK.

Make sense? Again just the way I generally test out F/W pushes for IAP.

Adam