Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted Sep 05, 2014 07:46 PM

Hi

I have two IAP-225 that I have configured. It does not seem to work to stack them. I did like this... (I want to avoid one more long cabel from the server room and also a separate switch with only two connections).

Did power the first IAP-225 with 12V as the docs states that the other port will be unusable if PoE is used.

Connect the ethernet cable from the server room switch to ENET0. This AP now works as intended as it's comfigured correctly.

I power the second IAP-225. Also with 12V. Then I connect a cable from ENET1 on the first AP to ENET0 on this second one. This does not seems to work. Cannot use the second IAP-225 as the network to it does not work. I thought this was a 2 port switch on the back .... 

Am I missing something here? How can I use the ethernet ports on the back on IAP-225 no 1 as a 2 port dummy switch?

Thanks in advance

Per-Olov Sjöholm

SE

• 2.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted Sep 05, 2014 07:49 PM
    You'll need to set a wired port profile and attach it to the port.

• 3.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted Sep 05, 2014 07:53 PM

Ahhh.

But how?

I have a default_wired_port_profile, but cannot see anything related to this. But maybe "network assignments" and the ports 0/0 -> 0/4 are the ones to attach a profile to. But I have two physical ethernet ports but 5 in the GUI to assign profiles to.

Per-Olov

• 4.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 28, 2015 08:31 AM

HI,

Can you describe the issue little more.

1. Is eth port of IAP2 witch is latched to IAP1 is up, can you see any link activity.

2. If the link activity is there, check the VLAN assignment, and IP assignment method

Please ensure the following,

1. Client IP assignment is Network assigned

2. Native VLAN is same as the IAP1 uplink native VLAN

3. First of all , ensure the IAP1 uplink is trunk and the native vlan is configured same as the uplink device port native VLAN

To configure VLAN and IP assignment look at the following snapshot.

Wired1.JPG

Please feel free if the issue is not resolved.

• 5.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 28, 2015 09:52 AM

HI,

Just now I have learnt that this model is called "IAP Hierarchy deployment model" in this model of deployment different than the regular one.

You have a solution for your requirement, you can bring up IAP2 as a mesh point and it will communicate with the VC over the mesh link.

please feel free for nay further query on this.

• 6.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 30, 2015 03:25 PM

I don't really understand what you mean. Are you saying that the second port on this AP cannot be used for "other" equipment but another AP?

• 7.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 30, 2015 08:05 PM
    You can use eth1 to connect to other IAPs or other wired devices, but they cannot be mixed and matched on the same port. The eth1 must only have IAPs connected or only non-IAP devices connected.

Thanks,

Yan Liu

• 8.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 31, 2015 12:43 AM

Hi Maxpeen,

I don't really understand what you mean. Are you saying that the second port on this AP cannot be used for "other" equipment but another AP?

Yes my friend. IAPs are designed such a way that, if you connect any device to the eth1 port IAP will act as a bridge but when you connect an other IAP still it works as a bridge but both IAPs can not be in the same cluster and Master beacons wil be sent separately and it become an hierarchical deployment.

Therefore with this deployment model we can not justify your requirement. still if you want to save the cable, you can try Mesh with IAP.

Please feel free if you need some clarity on this.

• 9.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 31, 2015 12:46 AM

Hi,

This is for your reference ( Snap shot from IAP user guide page number 122 & 123). here RAP 3 is deployed as IAP.

IAP_Hierarchi1.png

IAP_Hierarchi2.png

• 10.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 31, 2015 02:17 AM

Thank you for the Comprehensive reply.

The topology i have is very simple (see below), the AP does nothing but being an AP and there are no further (L3) functions i use it for.

This drawing outlines the desired configuration. The thing it differs from now is that the Synology NAS is connected directly to the router.

The AP is in a physical different location that the router and i only have one cable running, so that's why.

topology.jpg

• 11.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 31, 2015 09:34 AM

Hi friend,

What I understood here is, you want to connect another IAP (IAP2) to eth1 port of the existing IAP(IAP1) and NAS to Eth1 port of IAP 2. if so, it will become hierarchical deployment. I advice you to run another separate cable and connect the new IAP (IAP 2) to the same VLAN where IAP1 is connected.

Please feel free if you need any further help on this.

• 12.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 31, 2015 11:11 AM
    Hi Maxpeen,

I only see a single IAP in the topology, if so this topology should be supported. The eth1 port should be bound to an Ethernet profile using access VLAN 1 or native VLAN1. In other words the screenshot you shared yesterday should be working. If you have more problems, you can file a TAC ticket with Aruba or share the "tech support dump" here.

Yan Liu

• 13.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted Jun 05, 2015 05:20 AM
    Yes that is what i was thinking, it should work indeed. I have another play with it after this weekend and i will post my findings here. Thank you so far!

• 14.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted Jun 05, 2015 05:18 AM
    No i don't and never wanted either. I want to connect my NAS to it as in the topology above and i can't run a second cable.

• 15.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 30, 2015 03:23 PM

Have it assigned vlan1 now, it had vlan 1000 (for some reason). Because i only have one vlan i do not (need to) create trunks.

I've attached some relevant info.

Wired_poortvliet-1.png

Wired_poortvliet-2.png

Wired_poortvliet-3.png

• 16.  RE: Bridge ENET0 and ENET1 on IAP-225?

Posted May 27, 2015 02:47 PM

I have the same issue, i want to connect my NAS to the second port of the AP, i only have one cable running to the AP location. So can we use the second port for this with those port profiles?

And what do the other ports do? As mentioned above.