Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2

Posted Feb 03, 2015 10:42 AM

anyone understand the difference between upgrade-image and upgrade-image2? (so not upgrade-image2-no-reboot, that one is clear).

the manual mentions for upgrade-image2: Uploads an additional image file and upgrades the IAP to use this image file when required.

i tested this with a newer, older and same firmware image and in all cases it "upgraded" and restarted automatically.

• 2.  RE: CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2

Posted Jun 02, 2015 05:11 AM

I'm looking for the same info. We have command upgrade-image and we have upgrade-image2. Then we have 2 FW images in the AP. I figured upgrade-image would update the primary, upgrade-image2 the secondary but that doesn't appear to be so.

Any Aruba guys here who might know and coudl share the answer?

• 3.  RE: CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2

Posted Jun 02, 2015 08:11 AM

Hi,

That option ( Upgrade-Image2) primarily used when we deploy ( or convert ) IAP as a RAP ( Controller based AP). that will not have any impact on IAP.

Please feel free if you need further clarity on this.

• 4.  RE: CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2

Posted Jun 02, 2015 08:45 AM

Thanks... but this tells me when this command is used. What I am asking is what exactly does each of these commands do.

So upgrading an independent AP we use "upgrade-image" and upgrading a controlled AP we use "upgrade-image2"?

• 5.  RE: CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2015 09:44 AM

upgrade-image2 is used to upgrade a cluster, especially when it has multiple models (i.e. Orion, Pegasus, Cassiopeia etc)

for single class cluster example:
        upgrade-image2 Orion@tftp://192.168.0.1/mips32.ari
    for multi class cluster example: upgrade-image2 Orion@tftp://192.168.0.1/mips32.ari;Cassiopeia@tftp://192.168.0.1/armv5te.ari

if you use upgrade-image2 without any decoration of the model name, then it behaves the same as the original upgrade-image command.

Neither have anything to do with the two image partitions.

oh, turns out while testing this to answer the post - if you get a 404 error from a http based upgrade URL, then the upgrade process gets stuck (fails, but IAP still reports upgrade in progress) - will require a reboot to clear. Tested on 6.4.2.3-4.1.1.5, will raise a bug.

regards

-jeff

• 6.  RE: CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2

Posted Jun 21, 2015 05:50 AM

thanks jeff, you might also want this updated in the documentation. with this example everything becomes clear.

• 7.  RE: CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2

Posted Jun 22, 2015 03:38 AM

Hi Jeff

Thanks for confirming :) I'll double that - would be a good idea to have this described in the documentation.

Cheers

PG

• 8.  RE: CLI upgrade upgrade-image vs upgrade-image2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2015 03:41 AM

sure, i'll ask the doc team to update based on this thread.

regards

-jeff

@Peregrino69 wrote:

Hi Jeff

Thanks for confirming :) I'll double that - would be a good idea to have this described in the documentation.

Cheers

PG