Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Can Not receive PAPI test reply

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Can Not receive PAPI test reply

Posted May 15, 2017 10:33 PM

I am having an issue where the AP's join the swarm and I can see them all in teh GUI of the VC, but I am unable to edit any of them. when I click edit i just get a spinning circle then nothing. when I do the same for the VC i get the box to change the name etc..

I ran a papi test from SSH on the VC and one of the APs and I get this error back

SQ1APSRVRM# papi-test 10.17.217.20 10

sending papi test message(28) index 1 to 10.17.217.20....

sending papi test request(10) index 1 to 10.17.217.20....

can not receive papi test reply from 10.17.217.20!

The ap's are in the same subnet as the VC and in the same firewall zone, so there are no firewall policies that would be needed between the aps and the VC.

The VC and the ap's are on different switches though. trunks have all vlans allowed.

has anyone seen this before?

• 2.  RE: Can Not receive PAPI test reply

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2017 06:12 AM

What Model Instant access points?

What version of Instant code?

You say you have a cluster of APs...  How long has this been happening?

Did it ever work and something happened?

• 3.  RE: Can Not receive PAPI test reply

Posted May 16, 2017 08:14 AM

These are 225's on version 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.5. This is a new install. My first time installing wireless. The mast IAP works just fine. it seems the other APs in the cluster are not really talking to it even though the swarm state says config sync complete. This has not worked yet. I have been testing connecting to the master and configured everything on it, then plugged in the other AP's but cannot edit them in a GUI. i can connect to them via SSH.

• 4.  RE: Can Not receive PAPI test reply

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2017 08:32 AM

Everytime you "web" into the GUI of a "slave" AP, you should be redirected to the GUI of the master Virtual Controller.   When you SSH into a slave AP are you not redirected to the Virtual Controller.  

• 5.  RE: Can Not receive PAPI test reply

Posted May 16, 2017 08:55 AM

Right, I am not trying to go the GUI of a slave. I am in teh gui of the master, and in the access points column I can see all the AP's. When i click on edit I get nothing. I tested on a working install at another office and if you click edit on any of the AP's you can edit them.

What started all this is that it seems when connecting to a SSID from one of the ap's you cannot get an ip, but when connecting from the master you can get an ip. I verified that that switch the ap's are on can get IP's and the vlans are working properly.

It is like they are not talking to each other properly.

• 6.  RE: Can Not receive PAPI test reply

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 16, 2017 09:30 AM

Hey, this does suspiciously sound like a VLAN issue and even more so when you mentioned about the DHCP IP address issues. Can you confirm that every single switch port is configured as a trunk port, with the native VLAN  on that same switch port is of the IAP management VLAN (e.g Virtual Controller). 

These are managed by Central or AirWave are they? The fact that you can see each of the IAP's when you log in suggests they are speaking to each other. 

If you plug a laptop into the switch  port of a non-working IAP, what IP address do you get? Is it from the management VLAN?

• 7.  RE: Can Not receive PAPI test reply

Posted May 17, 2017 09:52 PM

the virtual controller was on the core switch and the aps on a dedicated ap switch. every ap is on a trunk with all vlans allowed. the trunk between the ap switch and the core has all vlans allowed same with the trunk to the virtual controller. they are all on the same mgmt vlan which is the native vlan.

I moved the virtual controller to the same switch as the aps. that resolved the issue of clicking edit and seeing the ap properties from the gui of the master.

i reconfigured a new master and am going to reset all the aps and have them connect to the new master.

Thanks for all the replies.

• 8.  RE: Can Not receive PAPI test reply

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2017 10:28 AM

@jlabradore wrote:

Right, I am not trying to go the GUI of a slave. I am in teh gui of the master, and in the access points column I can see all the AP's. When i click on edit I get nothing. I tested on a working install at another office and if you click edit on any of the AP's you can edit them.

What started all this is that it seems when connecting to a SSID from one of the ap's you cannot get an ip, but when connecting from the master you can get an ip. I verified that that switch the ap's are on can get IP's and the vlans are working properly.

It is like they are not talking to each other properly.

You are talking about two different things.

If you having problems with the GUI, you should clear your browser cache, logout and then login again.

If you cannot get an ip address as a client on certain access points, you need to make sure that the client VLAN is trunked to those access points on the switch the AP is connected to.