Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot find a way to change management IP of VC in IAP cluster. GUI specifies incorrect IP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Cannot find a way to change management IP of VC in IAP cluster. GUI specifies incorrect IP

Posted Jun 14, 2016 04:39 AM
      |   view attached

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help please?

Situation - I need to change the management IP of VC on IAP cluster

Current settings - Management IP to get on to GUI is 10.10.224.6 on port 4343

I want to change this IP yet when I go into the place I would expect to find it (system) a completely different IP is specified 10.0.20.30. This IP is not pingable or manageable through browser.

Question - Why is the IP used for GUI management through a browser 10.10.224.6 yet in the settings the IP is different 10.0.20.30?

Much appreciated

• 2.  RE: Cannot find a way to change management IP of VC in IAP cluster. GUI specifies incorrect IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2016 06:54 AM

Is your cluster using DHCP for all of its IAPS?

• 3.  RE: Cannot find a way to change management IP of VC in IAP cluster. GUI specifies incorrect IP

Posted Jun 14, 2016 07:01 AM
    Hi cjoseph,

Yes,

They all have the box ticked to "get IP address from DHCP server"

Cheers,

Myke Morgan
    Senior ICT Officer / Uwch Swyddog TGC
    ICT Services
    Vale of Glamorgan Council / Cyngor Bro Morgannwg
    tel / ffôn: 01446 709765
    mob / sym: 07739192419
    e-mail / e-bost: mymorgan@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk

Visit our Website at www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk
    Ewch i'n gwefan yn www.bromorgannwg.gov.uk

Find us on Facebook / Cewch ddod o hyd i ni ar Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter / Dilynwch ni ar Twitter

Correspondence is welcomed in Welsh or English / Croesawir Gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg neu yn Saesneg.

Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.
    Ystyriwch yr amgylchedd. Peidiwch ag argraffu'r neges hon oni bai fod gwir angen.

• 4.  RE: Cannot find a way to change management IP of VC in IAP cluster. GUI specifies incorrect IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2016 07:09 AM

Okay.  Which subnet matches the DHCP addresses that they have received, 10.10.224.x or 10.0.20.x?

• 5.  RE: Cannot find a way to change management IP of VC in IAP cluster. GUI specifies incorrect IP

Posted Jun 14, 2016 07:13 AM
    The IPs the APs are receiving are either 10.0.5.x or 10.0.6.x

The cluster was set up by a member of staff that has now left so I cannot work out why the VC has this 10.0.20.30 address.

Cheers,

Myke Morgan
    Senior ICT Officer / Uwch Swyddog TGC
    ICT Services
    Vale of Glamorgan Council / Cyngor Bro Morgannwg
    tel / ffôn: 01446 709765
    mob / sym: 07739192419
    e-mail / e-bost: mymorgan@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk

Visit our Website at www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk
    Ewch i'n gwefan yn www.bromorgannwg.gov.uk

Find us on Facebook / Cewch ddod o hyd i ni ar Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter / Dilynwch ni ar Twitter

Correspondence is welcomed in Welsh or English / Croesawir Gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg neu yn Saesneg.

Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.
    Ystyriwch yr amgylchedd. Peidiwch ag argraffu'r neges hon oni bai fod gwir angen.

• 6.  RE: Cannot find a way to change management IP of VC in IAP cluster. GUI specifies incorrect IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2016 07:19 AM

You can manually set the VC address, but it should be on the same subnet as the ip address that access points receive.  The person who set it up before you might have had them on a different subnet before.

To be clear, the Virtual Controller is the AP that gives instructions to the others.  It has an ip address that it received from DHCP.  You can set a VC address, which would be a consistent ip address that that Virtual Controller can be reached from and if you turn on dynamic radius proxy, radius traffic will always be sent from that address.  You probably need to correct the VC address so that it is on the same subnet as the ip address that your access points have.  If that ip address is defined in a radius server and dynamic radius proxy is configured, changing that ip address could cause your authentication to stop working, unless you define the new VC address in the radius server.