Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

Posted Nov 16, 2017 05:04 AM
    Hi, I’m facing the issue as the title. I’d appreciate if anyone can help.

I have an AP cluster which has 4 IAP-305s. I’ve configured ip addresses of the VC and each AP. One AP is set as a preferred master.

In this situation, if I ping to VC’s ip address, I receive replies without any problem.
    And next, if I cut the power of the AP which is master, I receive errors, since the master is down.
    After few seconds, the master will be changed to another AP (I confirm this from a Web browser).
    However, I still receive ping errors and it lasts forever (at lease over 10 minutes).

I can access to the AP’s ip addresses directly via a Web browser, so this is not a critical issue. But I’d like to know if this is normal behavior, and what would be the cause of this.

• 2.  RE: Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

Posted Nov 16, 2017 05:49 AM

Hi, endorphin003

Your word "VC" means "Virtual Controller of IAPs", doesn't it? If so, I have the same issue.

• 3.  RE: Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

Posted Nov 19, 2017 10:02 PM

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, you're right. VC is Virtual Controller.

• 4.  RE: Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

Posted Jan 09, 2018 09:08 AM

Hi,

Same issue (IAP 305) 

Regards

• 5.  RE: Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 09, 2018 09:26 AM

Are you sure that the AP which has elected itself as the Master after the Preferred Master is down, is not rebooting shortly after when the Preferred Master is back online and electing itself?

The AP that you manually select as the master is known as the preferred master. As long as the preferred master is online, it is the cluster master. If the preferred master goes down because of an uplink failure, the default reelection algorithm elects a new AP as the master. When the preferred master comes back online, it becomes the cluster master again, and the AP that was automatically elected as the master through the reelection algorithm reboots to rejoin the cluster as a regular member AP.

• 6.  RE: Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

Posted Jan 10, 2018 03:51 AM

Thank you for the comment.

I have checked the process through my Web browser.

So, Yes, I'm sure the followings:

1) Another Master AP is elected after the Preferred Master is down.

2) The Preferred Master became the Master AP after it came back online. * As you said, at this point, the other APs reboots to elect the Preferred Master as the Master AP.

During the process 1), I cannot ping to VC.

At 2), it'll be success to ping.

If I cannot communicate with VC when Preferred Master is down, I wonder what VC is for...

• 7.  RE: Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 10, 2018 03:55 AM

Hey, you should still be able to reach the VC regardless of what IAP (Preferred Master or not) is elected as master. What InstantOS version are you running?

• 8.  RE: Cannot ping to VC after failover (IAP-305)

Posted Jul 30, 2018 01:52 AM

Same problem here.