Controllerless Networks

New Contributor

Client VLANs in AP Zones

Is there a way to use the same SSID across multiple AP Zones but change static VLAN per Zone in Instant 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.5_57965?

I have a client whose network is segmented by VLAN per floor in their building. They want to use a single SSID to cover their building, but they want to keep their network as is, so if a client connects to an AP on floor 2 they get put in VLAN 2, connect on floor 3 they get put in VLAN 3.

With other vendors, I've been able to set up AP-Groups and add the same SSID into each AP-Group and then change the client VLAN to be different depending on the AP-Group, then assign APs to their appropriate Group.

Just curious if there is the same capability in Instant, or should I be taking a different approach?

Guru Elite

Re: Client VLANs in AP Zones

You can create more than one SSID profile, but I don't think they can have the same ESSID (broadcast name), so that is probably a "no".  If each floor has a different management VLAN, you could have a different cluster for each floor, and that might solve your issue.

The immediate issue with putting clients on a different VLAN on each floor is that not all clients do a DHCP renew when roaming from AP to AP, so if a client roams from one floor to another, they will be on a different VLAN, but have no connectivity, because they will think they are on the same subnet.  It is also possible that a client can see an AP on the floor above and roam to it, but not request a different ip address and connectivity will be broken, as well.  The best thing to do is probably find a way that you can extend the same VLAN to all floors that you need users to roam to.....

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: