Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

ClientMatch - Band Steering

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  ClientMatch - Band Steering

Posted Jun 20, 2016 05:18 PM

Hello guys, is there a good document on how BandSteering work when client match is enabled. I know client match will override the previous band steering option, but i am asking how bandsteering works inside the clientmatch algorithm. My specific questions are:

1. If the user is connected to the 5Ghz band will band steering  try to move the client to 2.4Ghz if the SNR is better?

2. If i tweak the Client Match Band Steer G Band Max Signal (-dBm)  which by default is 45 to something like 20 i guess not many clients will meet that condition on the 2.4Ghz band and will prefer the 5Ghz, am i right?

• 2.  RE: ClientMatch - Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2016 06:14 PM
    Band steering works on Association, IF client match is not enabled. In 6.3.x and later, it is enabled by default.
    Client match works after association, when the 5ghz side of an access points sees the client at a minimum signal strength. This happens after association.

It is best to ensure that the 5ghz radio is stronger than the 2.4ghz radio, otherwise the client will just go back to the 2.4ghz after being steered...

• 3.  RE: ClientMatch - Band Steering

Posted Jun 29, 2016 02:15 PM

Thanks for your reply, i have my EIRP on the 5ghz band to 15 dBm max and 12 min and on the 2.4 Ghz is set to 12dBm and 9 dBm. So as you can see my min value on the 5Ghz is 12 and my max value on the 2.4 Ghz is 12dBm also, so what if i have an area where the AP is using the max on the 2.4 and the min for the 5 GhZ is there any way to try to influence the station to prefer the 5Ghz instead of the 5Ghz, i was thinking that is the reason there is an option "Client Match Band Steer G Band Max Signal) in the client-match config and if I set this value really low like -15 dBm the dual band stations in that area will be kind of "forced" to band steer because they don't met the minimum signal required to associate to that AP on that band.

• 4.  RE: ClientMatch - Band Steering

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2016 03:22 PM

I would not begin by changing any of the clientmatch settings.  Just make sure that your 2.4ghz max is equal to, or less than your 5ghz min to begin with and take it from there.  Some clients make their own decisions and will just go back to 2.4 even if they are moved.  You need to do what is best for MOST of your clients, and the clientmatch defaults do that.  The ARM max and min tx power need to be adjusted, however..

• 5.  RE: ClientMatch - Band Steering

Posted Jun 29, 2016 03:29 PM

gotcha, thanks, is there any good article that you know of that describes all client match configs that can be changed? i would like to better understand this technology.

• 6.  RE: ClientMatch - Band Steering
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2016 03:35 PM

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/RF-and-Roaming-Optimization-for-Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/227716

It is not all about client match, but the settings are discussed in there...

• 7.  RE: ClientMatch - Band Steering

Posted Jun 29, 2016 03:36 PM

thanks for your help