Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted Mar 26, 2015 01:28 PM

We have recently begun implementing our employee network with Aruba 205 IAPs.  (WPA2 Enterprise/Radius Auth).  I am seeing several clients with the name "--" and ip address 0.0.0.0.  Initially we saw this in testing, and I assumed that this was due to the Radius not being configured correctly and it was just showing what devices were failing to authenticate.  However now I'm showing our successfully connected devices and several random "--" 0.0.0.0 clients.  Any ideas on what could be causing this? 

• 2.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted Mar 26, 2015 04:43 PM
    for those devices that have 0.0.0.0 are they getting radius deny messages?

• 3.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 27, 2015 09:53 AM

I looked through the logs on the Radius server.  Come to find out, there were some users trying to authenticate that I was not aware of (the group policy I was playing with was trying to connect them). Since their certificate has not been installed their connections were unsuccessful.  Once I added their certificates they were able to authenticate and the 0.0.0.0s went away.   

• 4.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted Mar 27, 2015 10:07 AM
    Glad you got it sorted out

• 5.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted Oct 21, 2015 03:12 AM

Hi all, I have similar issue as per screen shotclients.PNG

no authentication errors under alerts

any idea?

• 6.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted Oct 21, 2015 09:21 AM
    What authentication method are you using?
    Do the devices pass authentication?
    Does your DHCP server have enough addresses to hand out? Is the network configured to point to that DHCP server?

• 7.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted Oct 21, 2016 10:48 AM

We have a customer with 4 SSIDs, 3 of them are fine.

The Staff SSID has about -- Name 0.0.0.0 Ip clients listed.The Staff DHCP scope also fills up with bad addresses. I have to believe there is a relationship between the two problems but am not sure which might be the cause and which the result.

Or both issues could be caused by a bad client, but I need a way to track that down.

Thanks,

• 8.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted Oct 27, 2016 09:42 AM

I wanted to update everyone on the issue.

The bad address issue appears to have been resolved but I still see a good number of blank names with 0.0.0.0 addresses in the virtual controler.

Thanks,

• 9.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted Feb 06, 2017 09:26 AM

Is there any update on what could be causing the 0.0.0.0 besides auth issues?

B

Rgds

Peter

• 10.  RE: Clients showing as name: -- and ip address: 0.0.0.0

Posted May 10, 2017 09:11 AM

I am experiencing a similar issue in our Wlan.

We have a single SSID that supports several (3) iot user profiles.  2 of the user profiles seem to operate without issue.  A third user profile will intially authenticate (via PSK) and receive a valid IP address.  The device operates as expected. Randomly,  the devices will loose connectivity with the internet (while still connected to Wlan network)

Rebooting the device often re-establishes a valid IP address and connectivity to the internet.  Users are becoming frustrated and I am desperate for a resolution........