Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Configure IAP VPN DHCP subnet

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Configure IAP VPN DHCP subnet

Posted Nov 03, 2014 11:09 AM

The scenario is this..

Instant-AP configured with distributed, L3 scope. Each VC gets a /24 subnet from 10.100.0.0/16. (IP address range 10.100.0.0-10.100.255.255 - client count 200)

A VC with only one IAP brakes and needs to be replaced.

Is there a way to make the replacement IAP get the same subnet as the broken IAP?

The reason we need the same subnet are printers configured with static IP addresses.

The only way I've found is to configure each VC with a "static" subnet-range.
    Like, IP address range 10.100.1.0-10.100.1.255 - client count 200.

But that means each VC needs DHCP scope override in Airwave. And I don't know if there are other drawbacks configure each VC with a seperate branch-key subnet.

Any input appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Configure IAP VPN DHCP subnet
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 03, 2014 11:59 AM

In order for the controller to assign the same BID (branch-ID) to an incoming IAP-VPN site, there is a concept of virtual-controller-key within a cluster.  This allows the controller to assign the same BID/subnet to the location regardless of which IAP is the VC.  This key is unique per cluster and is not configurable.

Do you have a backup of the VC that you can restore to a replacement AP?

If not, you may need to call TAC to see if there are any alternatives.

• 3.  RE: Configure IAP VPN DHCP subnet

Posted Nov 04, 2014 05:07 AM

Thanks for the input. 

I'm trying to find a process how to handle this fictive scenario before eventually roll out in larger scale. So nothing is down yet.

To use a backup was a good idé. Don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.
    I tried to do a "ap replacement" on the VC in Airwave before, which didn't work.
    But restore the VC configuration file to a new IAP actually seems to work.

Thanks again.