Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Controller + Instant.... redundancy?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Controller + Instant.... redundancy?

Posted Sep 17, 2014 05:15 PM

We currently are running a single 3600 controller with approx 60 APs at our main campus.  One of our primary concerns is redundancy, since if that controller dies we lose connectivity to all of our APs.

We are about to add an additional small campus that will begin with 10 AP.  That campus will be connected via fiber point-to-point (so on a different vlan, but connected directly to the main campus core switching)  We have been hearing the buzz about instant, but need to provide redundancy to all of our campuses.

We had originally planned to purchase an additional 3600 ($$$) to provide that redundancy.  Here is the question...

Can I deploy instant at the new campus AND provide redundancy via instant?  Or do I really need to deploy a physical controller solution to provide redundancy to my existing controller based APs?

• 2.  RE: Controller + Instant.... redundancy?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2014 05:21 PM
    There are new, smaller, low-cost cloud services controllers that may fit your needs. Check out the 7005, 7010, 7030. I wouldn't recommend purchasing any legacy gear (M3, 6xx, 3x00).

• 3.  RE: Controller + Instant.... redundancy?

Posted Sep 17, 2014 05:24 PM

Tim,

It appears that the 7030 tops out at 64 APs...  are you saying to deploy that at the secondary campus to run the additional APs or split the load between the existing 3600 and the 7030 for redundancy?

Thanks so much!

• 4.  RE: Controller + Instant.... redundancy?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2014 05:37 PM
    Do you have an Aruba or Partner SE? It may be best to work with them. There are many new topology options available.

• 5.  RE: Controller + Instant.... redundancy?

Posted Sep 18, 2014 11:28 AM

I've tried, but frankly so much of this is new, very few resellers can give good answers for best practices on this stuff. 

We have been a customer for a long time, but are still a small account with only 60aps.  So while we have a ton invested in controller-based APs, making a switch to instant or some other option for redundancy seems like really muddy waters that nobody knows or has implemented.  It's either one or the other.

• 6.  RE: Controller + Instant.... redundancy?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 18, 2014 09:27 PM
    If your goal is to provide redundancy for your existing campus APs, you will have to buy a second controller. Instant redundancy can only work for the instant portion of the network.

Thanks,

Yan Liu
    Product Manager
    Aruba Instant
    US: +1 650 996-3520
    China: +86 136 2121 6844