Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP not passing thru

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  DHCP not passing thru

Posted Feb 09, 2017 02:57 PM

Need a little assistance. I have some aruba AP's managed by AirWave connected on my network. the VC has 3 SSID's connected. one is for the private lan using radius, another is for guest using Magic VLAN, and a third is setup for some hand scanners using a defined vlan over WPA2. everyhting was working fine until two days ago when the third SSID stopped handing out DHCP addresses on the defined VLAN. i connected a laptop directly to a port on a switch and change that port to the defined vlan and DHCP works fine. So i deleted the SSID out of the VC and recreated it and still same issue. the other two SSIDs are working fine with DHCP. i know the issue is not from the switch out as the ports can grab DHCP no problem. this issue is with the AP's not handing out ip addresses from the DHCP server for the vlaned subnet. any ideas?

• 2.  RE: DHCP not passing thru

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2017 06:06 PM

I would check the trunk settings for that VLAN where the AP connects to the switch.  It should be a trunk if it is a different VLAN. 

• 3.  RE: DHCP not passing thru

Posted Feb 10, 2017 08:11 AM

yes, the trunk port have the correct vlans allowed. this has been working since september and then all of a sudden it stopped on tuesday.

• 4.  RE: DHCP not passing thru

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2017 09:03 AM

If it is network assigned, the IAP does not hand out addresses; it just trunks users to that VLAN.  See if there were any changes within your infrastructure on Tuesday.  There are too many things to guess; you know your network better than we do..

• 5.  RE: DHCP not passing thru

Posted Feb 10, 2017 11:44 AM

so theres 2 vlan on the ap. vlan 80(ssid data) and vlan 90(ssid scanners). the trunk port has vlan 80(data vlan) native and allows vlan 90(scanner vlan). any pc that connects ssid DATA(80) gets the correct dhcp ip's. But any pc that connects to ssid SCANNERS(90) get the APIPA address.

This was not the case before Tuesday. so i checked to make sure the vlan was still active. yes they are. then i checked to see if the SVI was active and had a ip helper address for the DHCP server. Yes it active. The i made sure that the trunk ports have "switchport trunk allowed vlan all" configured. they do.

After checking all that i created a access port on the switch for vlan 90 and connected a pc. the pc received the ip address from DHCP for that vlan. so that tells me everything is working as should be.

with that being said, the ap will allow DCHP for vlan 80 but not for vlan 90.

• 6.  RE: DHCP not passing thru

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2017 12:17 PM

Are you sure that you are not blocking traffic in the user role for that SSID?

• 7.  RE: DHCP not passing thru

Posted Feb 10, 2017 12:21 PM

not for that ssid. the only ssid that has access rules is the third ssid for guest wireless. vlan 80 and vlan 90 ssid are unrestricted.

• 8.  RE: DHCP not passing thru

Posted Feb 21, 2017 09:37 PM

Hi ,

Please capture the following on one of the AP's where client is connected

IAP# debug pkt match mac <mac-address of client>

IAP# debug pkt type dhcp

IAP# debug pkt dump

Connect the client to the SSID while above debug pkt dump is running & attach the output here