Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Design question for a Freezer/warehouse with a 50 foot ceiling and 300 foot lanes 7 feet wide

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Design question for a Freezer/warehouse with a 50 foot ceiling and 300 foot lanes 7 feet wide

Posted Jan 15, 2015 10:50 AM

Wondering what others have done on this scenario.  I received a quote from Aruba with omni direction antennas for their IAP-274 outdoor AP, two for each lane covering 300 feet in length and 7 feet in width mounted at a height of 50 feet to a girder truss.  We will be using vehicle (forklift) mounted computers (Motorola VH10) traveling at 15MPH and require a constant connection with seamless handoff.  The isles will be stacked to the ceiling, 50 feet high with pallets of produce.   My thoughts were to use a directional antennas pointing down or at an angle.  I am also considering mounting an AP along the wall of each isle with a directional antenna, but this is only possible on one end of the isle because the other end will also have pallets and it is out of the question to mount anything there because it will be damaged.  I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following.

Antenna selecion

AP placement

AP mounting (photo is not the actual warehouse but the girder truss is identical)

AP count per lane.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Design question for a Freezer/warehouse with a 50 foot ceiling and 300 foot lanes 7 feet wide

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2015 11:10 AM

Who is your regional sales team and are you engaged with them on this project? Has any professional site survey/rf survey been done to model the layout of the shelves, show proper attenuation, etc?

In your drawing, which end will be the wall that has the APs mounted to it, the top or bottom? 300ft is doable with clear line of site so for these forklifts, are the antennas on the top of the forklift or are they integrated into the unit, and if they are integrated, where is the unit mounted inside the forklift? If the unit is mounted low, and has integrated antennas, then you will have the forklift+body+whatever else to get back to the AP at 300ft, which would be sketchy.

Do you have to mount on the wall or can you mount on the ceiling as well?

• 3.  RE: Design question for a Freezer/warehouse with a 50 foot ceiling and 300 foot lanes 7 feet wide

Posted Jan 15, 2015 11:38 AM

Hi Jerrod, I replied via email.  I'm new here and I'm not sure if you received my response.

thanks

• 4.  RE: Design question for a Freezer/warehouse with a 50 foot ceiling and 300 foot lanes 7 feet wide

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 16, 2015 01:08 AM

I don't think I got an email, and I donl't see a PM here...

jhoward at arubanetworks dot com

I won't be able to put much/any time in to it until middle of next week, but I think a combination of wall mounting with staggered ceiling mounts (depending on where the switch is). End-mounted APs along a wall with such long alleys practically means an AP per row if you expect to hit the end. Using 274+2314+5314 is kind of the best option so as to minimize aisle overlap.