Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Aug 12, 2014 04:21 PM

Hi all

I have come across a proxy server called Litespeed a couple of times recently and it seems that it uses RADIUS accounting data to decide to allow/disallow users web access. One customer was using a controller so could simply tell the AAA profile to use litespeed as the Accounting server and freeRADIUS as the authentication server. However, the other customer was using instants and this doesn't seem to be an option.

Is it possible? Alternatively, is it possible to use CPPM to forward the Accounting data to a second server?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2014 08:23 PM

This isn't possible today.

• 3.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Aug 12, 2014 08:43 PM
    It will be possible in the upcoming 4.1.1 release.

Thanks

Yan Liu

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Aug 13, 2014 03:11 AM

Thanks Seth and Yan.

Yan: Do we have a release date? I suspect the customer would accept beta if that is available earlier.

Is there any way to do this on CPPM? I am happy to raise this in the Clearpass section of Airheads if that is more likely to get a response.

Cheers

• 5.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Mar 20, 2015 01:28 PM

Hello, 

I was looking for an update as this is my exact problem currently. 

I saw mention of a release version 4 and I know we are now on version 6 of the firmware, if I'm not mistaken. 

My current setup is that I have serveral campuses with a virtual controller and local Radius server (which is NPS) but I have a central content filter which can take Radius accounting messages for a SSO purpose.  I need to authenticate locally and send the accounting infomration to the remote content filter. This is an easy affair in my older Cisco untis and I am very much in need of it for my IAP virtual controllers. 

If this is possible a little direction is needed.  

Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Mar 24, 2015 06:04 PM

this is avaible now in the 4.1.1.1 and later release of instant.

Just enable accounting and you can choose a specific account server to send the accounting to.

• 7.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Mar 25, 2015 09:48 AM
    I hope this goes by email.

We are talking about the firmware of the Instant APs right?
    I have enabled accounting on (3)Security of my Network's page but I don't see any options to specify the accounting server my firmware (while the Dell fork) is 6.3.1.8-4.0.0.8_46401 model AP105

This email, including any attachments, may contain confidential information which is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named. If you received this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail and delete it. Dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email without the prior consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.

• 8.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Mar 26, 2015 05:29 PM

yes the problem is your firmware: 4.0.0.8 you need 4.1.1.1 i think the recommended version is 4.1.1.3 for the early ones full firmware name: 6.4.2.3 - 4.1.1.3 this is also availble on the Dell Series.

• 9.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Apr 02, 2015 10:48 AM

Okay, I see, were talking about the FW numbers after the dash.  I just did an update (and only one AP came back, whoops!) but it only took me to 4.0.0.9 wtih no new updates listed when I check..

I'll wait until dell catches up, thanks. 

• 10.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Apr 02, 2015 10:51 AM

Hi,

dont you have access to: download.dell-pcw.com

Dells always up to speed, just login an download latest firmware and do the upgrade.

We are also running Dell so..

• 11.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Apr 02, 2015 10:54 AM
    No, I don't have access. The only thing I have been getting from them is the firmware so I was getting them from within the virtual controller's site via the firmware page's check button.

This email, including any attachments, may contain confidential information which is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named. If you received this e-mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail and delete it. Dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email without the prior consent of the sender is strictly prohibited.

• 12.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Apr 02, 2015 12:37 PM

you should just register an enter purchase order or contact their support. Its very big difference 4.0.09 vs 4.1.1.3

• 13.  RE: Different RADIUS server for Accounting on an Instant?

Posted Apr 02, 2015 12:41 PM
    I did, I as just saying that one will need to register as they consider it an early release still.
    It's working fine now, even reports IP without the unit giving the IP address (a requirement of Cisco)