Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Doubts or issues with guest networks

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Doubts or issues with guest networks

Posted Jun 30, 2016 03:40 PM

Hi everyone..!

I'm new to aruba and Im experimenting with a couple of demo devices: IAP-205 and IAP-225, no big controller or anything else, just the IAPs.

The issue Im facing now is that Im trying to set up a guest network in order to prepare the devices for demo environment. One of the thins I need to do for security reasons, is to separate the guest network from the internal network.

This is how things are beeing set up for the moment:

1. Our main firewall is the DHCP for our internal network.

2. I just plugged the IAPs into the network, so they have aquired a internal IP address and connected to Aruba central for administration.

That's it.

I first configured a wireless network for internal use, which works just fine.

The problem comes with the guest network, because initially works great, but it has access to internal network. So i add a new rule in the firewall restricting access to our internalnetwork/24 , but once this is done, guests are not having Internet anymore.

I found the configuration of the VLAN that the IAP's use for when they are set as virtual DHCP's, so I set up public DNS in order to pass those to guest clients, but still no Internet access.

What confuses me a little, is that even though the guests are getting the correct IP and everything, when performing a trace route, they don't use the virtual gateway, but goes to our internal instead:

Tracert.png

As you can see, I have configured the DHCP pool for the IAP's to serve the network 192.168.200.0/27, and our internal network is 192.168.0.0/24. Our main gateway is 192.168.0.31.

My direct question is why the guest devices are looking for our internal gateway instead of using the virtual one provided by the IAP..?

Im sure Im missing several things here....right..?

Im sorry to make my first post this long..!!!

Thank you all.!

Best Regards.

• 2.  RE: Doubts or issues with guest networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 30, 2016 07:32 PM

When you setup the guest network with the VLAN setup of "Virtual Controller Assigned", the Virtual Controller will assign a private subnet to guests and traffic will be source-natted out of the ip address of the Virtual controller.

To prevent guests from going to your internal subnets, you need to block destination traffic to your internal networks and allow everything else.  If my internal network is 10.x.x.x, here are the rules I would write:

rules.PNG

• 3.  RE: Doubts or issues with guest networks

Posted Jul 01, 2016 10:41 AM

Hi Colin.! Thanks for your kind response..!

I can see now my confusion with our internal gateway, because I was waiting as the first hit the virtual one assigned by the IAP, but at the end our internal is just the next hop.

This is how the rules were set up:

Guest_rules.png

Now things are working just fine.

A quick question though:

Why do I need to explicitly define a DNS allow rule, since the last one is allowing all to the outside..? Is the DNS still happening somehow directly on my internal network..?

Just something I wish to clear up..that's all....but Im happy that now it's working.

Thanks again..! :)

• 4.  RE: Doubts or issues with guest networks
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2016 12:58 PM

The permit DNS is only for if you are using an internal DNS rule that might conflict with the second rule.  You can remove it if your DNS server is external.

• 5.  RE: Doubts or issues with guest networks

Posted Jul 01, 2016 02:12 PM

Hi Colin.!

Thanks again for your feedback.

To be honest, at first things were not working as expected, that's why I decided to post here. I've implemented the rules and deleted the DNS one since the IAP is assigning public DNS's, so I guess for now everything works as it should.

Thank you again for the help.

Best Regards.

Hansel.

• 6.  RE: Doubts or issues with guest networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2016 02:41 PM

Hansel_CR,

Glad to hear it.