Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

External captive portal configuration for user registration

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 25, 2013 11:48 AM

Hi

I have a customer who has deployed an IAP network for guests Internet access. They want to configure the network to request the user´s e-mail address for granting internet access.

Their intention is to keep the user´s e-mail address for marketing purposes.

I recommended using an external captive portal for doing so but the customer does not have experience on kind of this solution and asked us for help.

I also need help on this because I don’t have experience either.

I was searching in Internet and I found several captive portal solutions (WifiDog, Coova Chilli, etc.) but I do not know which one could be the best alternative for doing the customer wants to do.

Could someone help me on this?

Regards

Fabián

• 2.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 25, 2013 12:30 PM

Hi Fabianhs,

Aruba Clearpass will certainly do this and can also verify the guest emails address before it allows them on the network, so is a great option.. There's also a method of capturing email addresses via the captive portal by using the internal acknowledged "security" option. This will allow the guest to enter an email address to gain access to the network, but the email address will not be verified. We have a customer who used to do this and you end up getting a lot of spurious email addresses.. x@x.com, bill.gates@microsoft.com etc...

Cheers
    James

• 3.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 25, 2013 12:33 PM

Actually I think that option (internal acknowledge) is only available on a controller where it logs email addresses of guest.

• 4.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2013 01:21 PM

The internal acknowledge is also available on Instant...however for marketing and data retentino purposes, ClearPass is definitely the way to go.  

• 5.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 25, 2013 02:41 PM

Hi James

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I understand what you are talking about spurious email addresses but I think is up to the customer to deal with.

On the other hand, correct me if I am wrong, Clear pass is ok but I think it surpasses the customer needs, and it would not be a cost-effective solution for them at this moment.

But if I choose Clear pass for the solution anyway, it is not clear for me how  to quote it, I mean, do I have to include Clear Pass Policy manager plus Clear Pass guest ?,  for which quantity of end points, taking in account it is for public access?.

Could you give me some guidelines on this?

Thanks

Regards

Fabián

• 6.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 26, 2013 07:01 AM

No problem.

I'd recommend speaking to your Aruba SE about Clearpass licensing etc.

• 7.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 29, 2013 11:45 AM

Thanks James

Regards

Fabián

• 8.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 29, 2013 02:41 PM

Hi James

Sorry for bothering you again, but the customer wants to know, besides Clear pass guest solution, what other comercial or free captive portal servers are compatible with IAP solution to capture users e-mail address as I mentioned in my previous posts.

Could you please give me this info?

Thanks

Regards

Fabián  

• 9.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 30, 2013 04:11 AM

Hi Fabian,

The company I work for only sell Clearpass Guest if a customer want a captive portal solution and I've not personally looked into many other,

What I can tell you is that IAPs should be able to redirect to any external captive portal web page.

Here's a good start: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=freeware+captive+portal&oq=freeware+captive+portal&aqs=chrome.0.69i57j0l3.10530j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Cheers

James

• 10.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 31, 2013 03:46 PM

Thanks James

One more question, we already offered Clearpass to the customer and he asked us how Clearpass stores the user´s e-mail address and how they can get them from it (I mean with a spreadsheet, text file, etc?)

Thanks

Regards

Fabián

• 11.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2013 03:49 PM
    They are stored in the guest user repository. I believe that can be exported.

Sent from my iPhone

• 12.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Jul 31, 2013 05:27 PM

Seth

Thanks, but I need something more specific. I was looking for at the Guest Deployment Guide but unfortunately I haven’t found clear information on this matter.

It is not clear for me where I have to look for the information I need.

• 13.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2013 05:47 PM
    Ah! Try going into ClearPass guest and the click on list accounts under guest.

This is also hosted in policy manager under configuration --> identity --> guest user repository

Sent from my iPhone

• 14.  RE: External captive portal configuration for user registration

Posted Aug 02, 2013 09:20 AM

Thanks Seth

I´ll do this.

Regards

Fabián