Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest network without authentication but with splash page for first web session

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Guest network without authentication but with splash page for first web session

Posted Aug 09, 2017 09:48 AM

Is there a way to implement following with Instant/Central installation - open guest network without authentication. Guests have access to network right after connecting but are forwarded to splash page first time when they use web browser, other apps are not affected. I was playing with external captive portal page and pre-auth role but this doesn't seem to do the trick. Controller based solution probably out of question due to cost as there are many rather small locations.

Best regards

Tarass Vercesuks

• 2.  RE: Guest network without authentication but with splash page for first web session

Posted Aug 09, 2017 03:22 PM

Hi mogai,

let me ask a question, before i try to help.

You succesfully figured out howto redirect to a splash page and you're final problem ist the "other clients are not affected" part?

Best regards

Markus

• 3.  RE: Guest network without authentication but with splash page for first web session

Posted Aug 10, 2017 03:46 AM

Hi

I configured guest SSID with redirect to external splash page. Now I still have to figure out how to allow all other traffic as soon as user connects and only redirect to splash page when he opens web browser for the first time. I tried setting pre-auth role and allowing everything for it and setting "server offload" for external captive portal but users still needed to open splash page before other traffic was allowed to pass.

Best regards

Tarass Vercesuks

• 4.  RE: Guest network without authentication but with splash page for first web session

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2017 05:12 AM

Typically for a captive portal type setup http/s is redirected to a portal page, with all other traffic being dropped, apart from dhcp and dns.

Why would you want to allow that other traffic in the background before the user has accepted the terms?

• 5.  RE: Guest network without authentication but with splash page for first web session

Posted Aug 10, 2017 07:08 AM

Company wants to have very "user friendly" guest network but marketing still wants to get something out of it. Splash page will have some ad content but they do not want to push all users to it on a mandatory basis.

Best regards

Tarass  Vercesuks

• 6.  RE: Guest network without authentication but with splash page for first web session

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 11, 2017 06:59 AM

Tarass, what exactly will be used to determine who gets the portal and who doesn't?

Do you have Clearpass in your environment?

• 7.  RE: Guest network without authentication but with splash page for first web session

Posted Aug 17, 2017 06:34 AM

All users should see splash page if they open web browser for the first time.  No Clearpass. 

Best regards

Tarass