Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Hanging IAP-105s off RAP5

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Hanging IAP-105s off RAP5

Posted Feb 24, 2013 10:05 PM

I'm a little new to Aruba products and WiFi configuration in general...so bare with me. We have an off-site showroom that needs VPN access several times a year. Last year we used a couple of RAP-5s to VPN back to the corporate network, which worked great, but the two devices weren't enough to handle all the users (100+ devices). So what I am wanting to do is have one RAP-5 at the location and have 6 IAP-105s to handle the devices. Can this be done? Can the IAPs broadcast the VPN SSIDs from the RAP5? If yes, how would you configure this?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Troy

• 2.  RE: Hanging IAP-105s off RAP5

Posted Feb 24, 2013 10:16 PM

You may consider just using the IAPs to handle your clients and do without the RAP-5s.   The virtual controller of the IAP can then VPN back to your office location; removing the need for the RAP-5 in your case.        Review the VPN Configuration chapter in the IAP User Guide to see if it will provide you with what you need.

High level summary from the guide:

The IAP supports termination of a VPN tunnel on the Aruba controller.  VPN features are ideal for:

• enterprises with many branches that do not have a dedicated VPN connection to the corporate office.
    • branch offices that require multiple APs.
    • individuals working from home, connecting to the VPN.

This new architecture and form factor seamlessly adds the survivability feature of Instant APs with the VPN
    connectivity of RAPs — providing corporate connectivity to non-corporates

• 3.  RE: Hanging IAP-105s off RAP5

Posted Feb 25, 2013 09:40 AM

Thank you for the reply!

I will review the user guide and see if I can get this working.

Troy

• 4.  RE: Hanging IAP-105s off RAP5

Posted Feb 26, 2013 06:28 PM

Another question pertaining to this topic. After the VPN connection from the IAP to the Controller is established could I also broadcast another network for public access? In other words, have one wireless network with VPN access and have another wireless network with public internet access? Could both of these networks be broadcast from the same IAPs?

Troy

• 5.  RE: Hanging IAP-105s off RAP5

Posted Mar 05, 2013 03:30 AM
    As far as RAP is concerns its works.. i think it may also be work in case of IAP.
    Expert will confirm it

• 6.  RE: Hanging IAP-105s off RAP5

Posted Mar 05, 2013 06:58 AM

Yes, you can still have a second guest network that is not tunneled back through the VPN.     Despite teh VPN connectivity, you still need to add the specific network routes that need to go back throug the tunnel.    It is under the VPN link:

instant-vpn-tunnel.jpg