Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.

Posted Dec 12, 2013 08:23 PM

I have two locations ShopArea with three devices and OfficeArea with two devices.  I followed the instatllation guide and created two Networks. How do I associate the Access points to the specific networks. I only want 3 devices accessable to the ShopArea and 2 devices to the Office Area, or do I need to convert each AP to a Standalone AP? I do not want Office Area showing up in Shop and visa versa. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.

Posted Dec 12, 2013 08:27 PM

One AP in an Instant group takes on the role of the "Virtual Controller".  This is the single point of configuration and monitoring for all other IAPs in the group.  As such, they all receive the same config and will advertise the same SSIDs.

To achieve your goal you will need to split your group into two groups.   This can be done by converting them to "Standalone" mode or by placing each IAP in their own Vlan.  With all IAPs in the same Vlan they see each other and join the single group.

• 3.  RE: Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.

Posted Dec 13, 2013 01:20 PM

Would I still be able to use the Instant VC to monitor the IAP's?

• 4.  RE: Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.

Posted Dec 13, 2013 01:23 PM

You will wind up with two VCs.  Each VC manages and monitors its' respective group. 

• 5.  RE: Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.

Posted Dec 13, 2013 01:43 PM

Seperate VLAN's are not an option at this time, so configured as standalones I can have 3 IAP's in the Shop Group with a VC and 2 IAP's in the Office group that will have a VC?

• 6.  RE: Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 13, 2013 01:50 PM

Unfortunately, no.  In Standalone mode the IAP runs as its' own "private group" and manages / monitors itself only. As such, you would wind up with a total of 5 IAPs running in Standalone mode and you would have to configure each one independently and manage them via their own VC IP.  To do as you are requesting separation via Vlans is the only option using IAP.  

You could add a controller into the mix, which would take ownership of all 5 APs then this is possible.   The controller would be the single point of configuration and monitoring and you could split the APs into two separate groups -- each group can run separate configs, hence separate SSIDs.

• 7.  RE: Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.

Posted Dec 16, 2013 01:34 AM
    Or, if you can wait until the upcoming IAP4.1 version, we have a new 'Zone' feature which could have divided your single cluster into two zones, each broadcasting a different set of SSIDs (however the other configs have to be the same)

• 8.  RE: Having issue getting IAP105's configured for two separate locations.

Posted Dec 16, 2013 12:21 PM

For now I have converted to all IAP's to Standalone and gave 3 of them the same SSID's and the other two the same SSID's. I will be looking forward to the 4.1 version.