Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How can I have one Aruba AP and one wifi router keep a seamless wireless network

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How can I have one Aruba AP and one wifi router keep a seamless wireless network

Posted Oct 14, 2014 02:16 AM

I have a linksys E4200 wifi router and an avaya 8port POE+ switch that powers one Aruba IAP-225.  Currently it is not as seamless of a network as anyone would like it to be, ie when I go to an area closer to the other wifi device, if I am connected already to one, it will not roam to the closer, seemingly, better one.  Both devices have the same SSID and password, same frequency and auto for the channel (maybe I can set it to different static ones for each).  Unless the Aruba AP is that powerful, that being a few feet away from the other device and the Aruba AP is still better, faster and stronger, I don't see why it would want to stick to it.  I made sure to set my wifi roaming to aggressive on my pc, but I still see my computer in the client list for the AP.  

• 2.  RE: How can I have one Aruba AP and one wifi router keep a seamless wireless network
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 14, 2014 04:57 PM
    This will never work as you are wanting to roam between two different vendors.
    Ultimately the client makes the decision and your client will want to stick to an AP.

Aruba can help with client-match but since there is only 1 AP in this network, there isn't much.

Roaming will simply not work in this scenario.
    You will need to use hardware that will support this.

Using 2 linksys E4200 routers will not work either because they are considered "thick" APs and do not share information between each other.

You will need a "controller" based (either virtual or dedicated) in order to make roaming work

• 3.  RE: How can I have one Aruba AP and one wifi router keep a seamless wireless network

Posted Oct 14, 2014 11:20 PM

OK and I know laptops have roaming capabilities, so I do see my laptop jumping around depending on where I am, like you said, I assume that is client based roaming. My android devices don't do that, I assume the OS has that taken out for the sake of battery life. Thanks for the info.  I think I will have different SSIDs on the two devices, so my laptop will still roam due to its own capabilities, but my android will require me to jump to the other as necessary.  Thanks again. 

• 4.  RE: How can I have one Aruba AP and one wifi router keep a seamless wireless network

Posted Oct 15, 2014 12:29 AM

Quick last question...when you set up network, it is using both frequencies? When I set up an SSID (network) it does not ask what frquency.

• 5.  RE: How can I have one Aruba AP and one wifi router keep a seamless wireless network

Posted Oct 15, 2014 09:06 AM

In the IAP when you setup the network, it uses both frequencies by default.

If you want to choose a particular frequency, you can do so, see below.

Capture.JPG