Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I find out what wireless MAC addresses are associated with which AP, in a Instant AP setup?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  How do I find out what wireless MAC addresses are associated with which AP, in a Instant AP setup?

Posted May 19, 2015 04:35 AM

I installed 10 IAP-205 in an Instant AP setup, and it works great. The only issue now is that in our documentation, we would like to name each access point with its location. But from the LAN side I see the LAN MAC address, and from the WLAN side I see the radios MAC address. And I cannot figure out how to view the radio MAC addresses from the Instant controller GUI.

How would I go about getting that information?

Thank you

-Petter

• 2.  RE: How do I find out what wireless MAC addresses are associated with which AP, in a Instant AP setup?

Posted May 19, 2015 05:08 AM

HI,

In this scenario, we will use Wired MAC address to identify the IAP. identify the IAP with it's wired MAC address and rename it accordingly.

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 3.  RE: How do I find out what wireless MAC addresses are associated with which AP, in a Instant AP setup?

Posted May 19, 2015 06:16 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention that we only know the locations based on the WLAN radio MAC address. Many of the APs are connected to the same switch, so its a bit tricky to follow the LAN MAC.

If there is no easy way, I can do the walk of shame and read off the MAC of each AP.

Regards

-Petter

• 4.  RE: How do I find out what wireless MAC addresses are associated with which AP, in a Instant AP setup?

Posted May 19, 2015 06:49 AM

HI,

You can try with BSSID. run " show ap association ". it will show all the client MAC address along with BSSID. with BSSID we easily identify the IAP.

try and let me know.

• 5.  RE: How do I find out what wireless MAC addresses are associated with which AP, in a Instant AP setup?

Posted May 19, 2015 08:14 AM

Thanks, I will check this out towards the end of the week, when I am on-site there.

-Petter

• 6.  RE: How do I find out what wireless MAC addresses are associated with which AP, in a Instant AP setup?
    Best Answer

Posted May 19, 2015 01:02 PM

Got access to the site via VPN, and figured it out.

# show client debug  (that will show both AP MAC and BSSID MAC)

Based on the output and the notes I had from a previous walkthrough, I was able to rename all the APs to indicate the correct location.

The Airheads forum is really good, super quick replies.

Thanks

-Petter