Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to disable an IAP-315 in bridge mode from client associations

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  How to disable an IAP-315 in bridge mode from client associations

Posted Feb 05, 2018 05:53 PM

We have one IAP-315 that is providing network services to some wired devices on a mobile cart. It's bridged to a set of IAP-325/315s that provide client access. The problem is that the IAP providing the bridge for the wired devices is also allowing client associations and when the clients roam to or from it we are having DHCP issues "BAD_ADDRESS". It's a Windows server environment.

So we need the one IAP to work as a bridge, but NOT allow client associations. And I can't find a way to do that in the GUI or docs.

In total there are eight APs, including the bridge AP, in controllerless/IAP mode. Firmware is 6.5.4.3_61959

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: How to disable an IAP-315 in bridge mode from client associations

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2018 04:46 AM

Mesh requires at least one SSID to be active on the mesh point. What might be an option is to use Zones to get a separate SSID (broadcasting only on 5GHz) specific for the mesh point, and put all other APs in another zone and bind the production SSIDs to that zone.

Have not tried this, but should work.

• 3.  RE: How to disable an IAP-315 in bridge mode from client associations
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 06, 2018 11:13 AM

Using the 2 per-ap setting to disable bssid  on the mesh point.

Only CLI, not supported by UI.

dot11a-radio-disable

dot11g-radio-disable

This will still have the mesh link working.

For mesh link, at least one SSID must be created on mesh point even we will not use it.

• 4.  RE: How to disable an IAP-315 in bridge mode from client associations

Posted Feb 06, 2018 11:52 AM

Thank you Mannvishal. To be clear, the IAPs are running in Instant mode, so their config is from the elected controller.

Due to omissions in the user guide, we followed this post to make the single AP work as a bridge:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Why-ethernet-bridging-is-not-working-even-after-enabling-the/ta-p/211867

The key was setting the admin status of the default wired profile to "up". This is not the default and not in the user/admin guide.

Just want to make sure that the configuration changes you recommend take this into account, will not disable the bridge, or impair the APs that are not being used for bridging.

• 5.  RE: How to disable an IAP-315 in bridge mode from client associations

Posted Feb 06, 2018 12:29 PM

The configuration change, of disabling 11g and 11a, i am recommending is only for the radios on the mesh point.

Interesting point on why this is supposed to work, is  because the mesh link SSID is implicit, and up & running if an SSID is defined. It will still stay up, if following command are executed on mesh point:

dot11a-radio-disable

dot11g-radio-disable

• 6.  RE: How to disable an IAP-315 in bridge mode from client associations

Posted Feb 06, 2018 12:38 PM

Thank you. I've executed the commands and now see no client associations with that AP. It appears that the devices on the physical Ethernet port are still connected and working, but I am awaiting final confirmation from on-site personnel. Will report back when I have.