Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

Posted Oct 21, 2013 02:54 AM

Hi,

How to setup mesh point for mesh network for Aruba AP 105 without using controller?

The situation is like this.

I have 2 Aruba AP 105. I named it Aruba-01 and Aruba-02. I have created a new SSID called "ARUBA-AP". So, I able to see both Aruba-01 and Aruba-02 in "ARUBA-AP" ssid.

I want to make Aruba-01 as mesh portal and Aruba-02 as mesh point.

The problem is both of them are mesh portal. Can anyone show me how to change one of them to become mesh point so that this AP can point to mesh portal without controller?

Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 07:42 AM

First, in the AP Group, add/create a Mesh Cluster Profile.  This is done in the AP Group settings under Configuration --> AP Configuration.  

Second, you need to go to Configuration -->  AP Installation, click on the AP you wish to be the mesh point and click Provision...

At the bottom of this screen, select Mesh Point and it should reboot and come up trying to find a Mesh Portal over the air which would be your other AP.

Keep in mind that BOTH APs still need the controller to function.  Just because you create a mesh point does not mean that the controller dependency is removed.

However, IF you had Instant APs, those can form a mesh network as well and our Instant solution is controller-less.

• 3.  RE: How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

Posted Oct 21, 2013 07:49 PM

Is this an instant AP105 (the conversation is in the instant forum) or a controller based AP105?

• 4.  RE: How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

Posted Oct 21, 2013 09:00 PM

It is without the controller. just the instant AP 105.. 

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 09:34 PM
    Have you tried having both up and working through a wired switch. Then just unplug one and power it up without the wired uplink. That should work

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

Posted Oct 21, 2013 10:44 PM

I have tried it and it didn't work. It showed Mesh portal for both AP.

Do I have to convert it to standalone for both AP first and then unplug one of it?

• 7.  RE: How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 21, 2013 10:49 PM
    To set up a mesh network:
    1. Connect all the IAPs to a DHCP server, so that the IAPs get their IP addresses in the same subnet.
    2. For over-the-air provisioning — Connect one IAP to the switch to form themesh portal. Ensure that only one Virtual Controller (one subnet) is available over-the-air and all the IAPs are connected to a DHCP server and get their IP addresses in the same subnet.
    The IAP mesh point gets an IP address from the same DHCP pool as the portal, and the DHCP request goes through the portal.
    3. Ensure that an open SSID, instant is listed. Connect a laptop to the default ( instant) SSID.
    4. Type http://instant.arubanetworks.com in a browser.
    5. Click I understand the risks and Add exception to ignore the certificate warnings.
    6. In the login window, enter the following credentials:
    l Username— admin
    l Password— admin
    7. Create a new SSID and wpa-2 personal keys with unrestricted or network based access rules. Select any permit for basic connectivity.
    8. Connect a client to the new SSID and disconnect from the instant SSID. All the IAPs show up on the Virtual Controller.
    Disconnect the IAPs that you want to deploy as Mesh Points from the switch and place the IAPs at the desired
    location. The IAPs with valid uplink connections function as themesh portal.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: How to get mesh point network for Aruba AP 105 without controller?

Posted Oct 22, 2013 03:18 AM

Hi,

Thank you. I have successfully created mesh portal and mesh point between 2 Aruba AP105.

Thank you again for fast response.