Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to make 104 into Instant 104

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Mar 20, 2013 09:45 AM

Hopefully this is an easy question to answer, i just have not been able to figure it out.  I have an AP104 that i would like to experiment with using as as Instant AP.  The product page lists that is capable of being one, i just cant figure out how to get it there.  I have about 75 or 80 AP running on my controller, but this is my first test with the instant stuff.  Thanks for your help.

• 2.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Mar 20, 2013 09:48 AM

You can't.

no_you_cant_bumper_sticker-p128989882707102469trl0_400.jpg

You should order an InstantAP-104 directly from the factory (From Aruba)

an Instant can be transformed to a controller based AP. But it's only one direction (basic security reasons)YOU CAN ONLY TRANSFORM  FROM INSTANT UNIT TO CONTROLLER BASED UNIT  AND NOT THE OPPOSITE.

Me

• 3.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Mar 20, 2013 09:53 AM

Wow, i have to be honest here.  I feel like they are falsely advertising this then.  Smack dab on the top of the AP page it says "choose your operating mode" and goes on to imply that you can choose what you want on the fly.  Looks like i will be placing a call to our account rep to let them know so maybe someone can change the wording on the page to it does not mislead their customers.

• 4.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Mar 20, 2013 09:58 AM

Can u tell me on what page your talking about?

THE AP-104 is a unit for controller manage only.

THE iAP-104 can be instantAP and also controller manage (if you configure and transfrom it)

• 5.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Mar 20, 2013 10:00 AM

http://arubanetworks.com/products/access-points/100-series/

on  the main product page for the AP 100 series.  It does NOT clearly tell me that there is this limitation.  It implied to me and my co workers who read it that we would be able to take this 104 and make it into an instant AP. 

• 6.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Mar 20, 2013 10:04 AM

Ok - i just saw what you talking about - you should speak with pre-sale or enginner before ordering ..or at least read the datasheet (ordering info) 

1.png

2.png 

• The Green area = Instant units.
    • All the rest - normal,only managed by controller AP'S.

Me.

• 7.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Mar 20, 2013 10:09 AM

I realize that there are different part numbers for them but because the documentation was not clear i assumed(you know what happens when you assume) that they existed so you could order one preconfigured for which ever mode you wanted, And considering how it seems to almost make it a bullet point feaure that you can pick your operating mode i did not feel the need to talk to an engineer.

Thanks for your very quick help with this.

• 8.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Mar 20, 2013 10:18 AM

No Problem,You welcome - feel free to ask here questions whenever you have.

(Regarding Aruba products of course)

We are here to help as much as we can :smileywink:

BTW:

There is always first time in everything.
    So now u know that you needed to do it :( - It's impotent to understand the technology u would like to buy, before buying it of any manufacturer,in order to answer your client needs and to fit the right product to his demands.

• 9.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Feb 21, 2014 07:03 AM

We too had made this assumption based on this information, would be nice if there was a way to reimage them to the IAP version as we have a load of these that are useless with out paying out on a controller?!

• 10.  RE: How to make 104 into Instant 104

Posted Feb 21, 2014 07:20 AM

Since the pricing of the IAP and AP of the same type is the same why not go back to the reseller or distributor and ask for a change. It should be possible.