Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to setup an Aruba Instant with an External DHCP Server?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  How to setup an Aruba Instant with an External DHCP Server?

Posted May 19, 2014 01:07 PM

Hi,

I was wondering how to setup an Aruba Instant AP with an External DHCP Server?

I have a Cisco Router setup with 3 different DHCP pool's, assigned to one of the fa interfaces which is connected to a Cisco switch which has 3 different VLANs assigned to each one of those DHCP pool's.

the switch port i have the IAP plugged into is trunked, allowing for all those VLANs to pass through.

what im trying to achieve is to setup the 3 different VLANs on the IAP, allowing devices to get their IP addresses from the Cisco Router instead of the internal DHCP server on the IAP.

regards

adam. 

• 2.  RE: How to setup an Aruba Instant with an External DHCP Server?

Posted May 19, 2014 02:12 PM

You should be able to use network assigned and static VLAN assignment using the 3 VLANs you are trying to use

• 3.  RE: How to setup an Aruba Instant with an External DHCP Server?

Posted May 19, 2014 03:20 PM

Hi Victor, thank you for your response.

i have tried to assign the VLANs but when i keep getting an IP address from the network assigned to one of the VLANs.

example : VLAN_10 - network 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0

VLAN_100 - network 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0

when setting up and assigning VLAN 10 in the IAP GUI, on the devices, i keep getting an IP address from VLAN 100's network.

the switch port that the IAP is plugged into is native to VLAN 100 but i have tried turning this off and assigning no native VLAN to the port.

regards

adam.

• 4.  RE: How to setup an Aruba Instant with an External DHCP Server?

Posted May 22, 2014 09:16 PM

The reason that is happening is because you need to do a static assignment 

• 5.  RE: How to setup an Aruba Instant with an External DHCP Server?

Posted Oct 08, 2014 12:22 PM

Hi, i have a similar problem. I have 2 topologies for instant as shown in the attached images (All VLANs in case 1 are for the APs, clients are using static VLAN 1 IPs in both cases).

Both topologies are working fine but now we need that the router in both cases operates as dhcp server for clients. If i setup the SSID for network assigned and a VLAN pool under Client VLAN Assignment / Static (let's say 2,3,4).....

-Does the instant randomly place the clients in one of those 3 VLANs?

-Is that enough for the router to assign IP addreses for the 3 different VLANs or do i need to tag those 3 VLANs in the switch ports (both trunk and hybrid) or is it enough with the management VLAN (1,10 or 20)?

Sorry if the questions are too evident but i'm confused about how instant handles VLANs (i'm new to this). Thanks for your help