Controllerless Networks

Regular Contributor I

How to snmp poll a IAP VC address

[ Edited ]

I am trialling some monitoring of an Instant deployment on 6.2.1.0-3.4.0.4. We are trying to do some remote snmp polling, however it seems that the VC address does not respond to snmp. If I use the address of the master AP it's ok, but the problem is the APs are on DHCP and behind a NAT gateway so we don't know what address the master will have and we won't have nat translations set up if it changes.

Can you configure the VC to respond to snmp or is there another workaround to this?

regards

B

--
ACMA ACMP
Guru Elite

Re: How to snmp poll a IAP VC address

If you have a NAT boundary, you should use Airwave to monitor those access points.

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/What-protocol-does-Aruba-Instant-APs-use-to-communicate-with-the-Airwave-server

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

Hi cj,

Bit confused about this answer mate. This is nothing to do with airwave, separate NMS system for graphing parts of the mib not shown in airwave.

This is just a general question about IAP. The snmp service appears not to listen on the VC address, is this configurable or fixed in newer code?

cheers,

B

--
ACMA ACMP
Guru Elite

BGC IT,

What I should have said is that there is no evidence that SNMP for any devices (much less Aruba devices) can be supported over a NAT boundary from a protocol perspective.  I was proposing Airwave an alternative, where you can monitor an IAP through a NAT boundary on port 443.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

No evidence? :smileysurprised: I do it all the time. You just set up port forwarding. In fact on this customer I am polling a bunch of stuff including Aruba kit. For example to remote poll a mobility switch I poll the gateway IP on port 10761 which port forwards to the switch ip on port 161. 

Understand now you're proposing an alternative but the only issue seems to be which interfaces the IAP is listening for snmp on. There is a published MIB for IAP so I am sure we are expected to use it :)

--
ACMA ACMP
Guru Elite

BGC IT,

If you can get it to work with all of the IAPs that is awesome.  Doing this for awhile I realize that it is not worth it for me to encourage anyone to do something that is not supported or tested, because there is no telling when that functionality will be suddenly blocked or revoked without warning.  I always offer the scalable approach so that there are no problems later with the OP or anybody who would read what I am saying years after.  With that being said, I will allow others who have ideas on how this would work to contribute their opinions.

Colin Joseph

Regular Contributor I

SNMP most definitely is supported on every single Aruba device I am aware of and always has been.

--
ACMA ACMP
Guru Elite

BGC IT,

I am referring to SNMP over a Nat boundary. Of course SNMP is supported...

Colin Joseph

Regular Contributor I

[ Edited ]

I don't understand the distinction you are making. Anything that applies to IP through a NAT gateway also applies to SNMP. 

Moreover the problem is there with or without the traffic going through a NAT gateway. The central problem is not knowing for sure which AP is the virtual controller at any time and therefore which address to poll.

--
ACMA ACMP
Guru Elite

BGC IT,

It is not me saying it.  It is others:

-- "You can deduce from this very basic description that many MIBs can contain one or more IP addresses. Because of the many messages, formats, and variables possible with SNMP, NAT cannot easily examine the contents of an SNMP message for IP addresses. Therefore, NAT does not support the translation of IP addresses within SNMP messages."

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: