Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

Posted Jun 11, 2015 07:23 AM

Dear Community,

please help us to figure out how can we use the serial cable of the RAP-155? We ordered this from Aruba but I got nothing on console. What is the right way to connect it to the AP? I hope you can help because it starts to be ridiculous that we can not use this cable and there is no any documentation or how-to about it.

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Gabor

• 2.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2015 07:29 AM

From the RAP-155 installation guide:

"Serial Console Port The serial console port is located at the bottom of RAP-155 or RAP-155P and closed by a rubber insert when not in use."

• 3.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

Posted Jun 11, 2015 07:35 AM

Hi cjoseph,

thanks for the answer, I was not so clear. Well I can find the pins for the serial on the ap. My problem that I don't know what is the right orientation to connect the cable, because there is no sign on the pins what I can use for the right connection. By the way I tried to connect the with the two possible orientation but I can not see anything in the putty (serial, speed 9600). I am using Serial to USB converter because my laptop has no serial port but there is no problem with the normal RJ45 console ports, only with this special pin-based serial connection.

So this is my question, what is the magic for the right connection?

Thanks a lot!

• 4.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2015 07:37 AM
    Picture of the connector and pins, please.

• 5.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

Posted Jun 11, 2015 08:15 AM

Hi, here is the photos.connector2.jpgpins_on_rap155.jpgconnector1.jpg

• 6.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2015 08:19 AM
    On the black connector there should be a cutout that matches the shape of the opening.

Make sure your console to USB is recognized and record the com port from device manager.

Use a terminal program to connect with no flow control using that com port.

• 7.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

Posted Jun 11, 2015 09:19 AM

There is a cutout on the back of the connector but I can not see any matches the shape of the opening. I can connect it two way without any breakthrough. The console to usb recognised by my win7 corretly this is the com6, and there is no flow control. I am using putty to connect here is the serial settings:

Serial line to connect to: COM6

Speed (baud): 9600

Data bits: 8

Stop bits: 1

parity: none

flow control: none

Start the serial connection with putty looks like there is a connection but can not see the boot informations and can not get the prompt of the device in the putty window.

RJ45 console ports on other aruba devices are working fine with these settings.

• 8.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

Posted Jun 13, 2015 03:16 AM

Hi Friend,

Small cut ( 2 line ) of the Console cable should match with the small notch ( bottom side in your pic) of the serial port of the AP, let the connector slide completely.

Please feel free to comeback if it is not solved, I will share a video on this.

• 9.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2015 06:48 AM

Hi Gabor

If you had connected it backwards and powered it up - it is possible that you damaged the serial port on the AP and it may never actually work again. Your settings of 8N1 9600 are correct. The ports are reasonably robust though, you would have to be unlucky to have blown it on first attempt. Connect it as below and try again - do take note of the progression of the LEDs - it might be that the RAP is actually damaged and not booting. From power on, at least you should see this

a> power LED red briefly (< 1sec), enet port LEDs flash yellow, then all off

b> power LED is solid green for about 10 seconds (enet0 should come on at about 4 seconds)

c> power LED will go through various sequences of flashing and solid, after about 3 mins it will hold solid and the WLAN leds should turn on

With regards to the cable itself, yes the notch on the cable is useless, it "matches" (sort of) but it doesn't actually provide any physical guidance or locking. Yes, you should locate the vague notch in the serial cable to the thinner of the two plastic protrusions in the serial port hole (for RAP-155 and RAP-3)

console2.jpg

I am not sure it was the intention, but I am yet to see them match physically. You may note that my rap-155 has been the recipient of some surgery (the tab redrawn above in photo editor), the lower plastic tab was actually too tall relative to the prongs of the serial port preventing the plug from being able to be pushed onto the prongs. Not sure if that's a problem for others - but better to chop the plastic than trying to bend the serial port prongs.

Final view - plus reminder sticker:

console1.jpg

Alternatively:

RAP-155 -- red cable towards ethernet ports

RAP-3  -- red cable towards LEDs on the front

regards

-jeff

• 10.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

Posted Jun 16, 2015 09:37 AM

jgoff,

many thanks for the nice answer! I got a new console cable, attach based on your post and everything works fine. Now it looks like I tried with a defective or damaged cable whole time ... 

Thanks for your help everyone!

• 11.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

Posted May 15, 2018 04:34 PM

HI WHat is the model of the console cable you have procured for RAP 155

• 12.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 15, 2018 05:57 PM

AP-CBL-SER aka JW071A

• 13.  RE: How to use console cable of RAP-155%3F

Posted May 18, 2018 12:11 PM
    thank you

--