Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

Posted Dec 10, 2014 01:18 AM

Is there a basic guide to setting this up on a simple network (combining wired and wireless)?  I found one on setting up the wireless network, but I can't find anything on how to set up wired networks with the device.  Maybe I'm missing something?

• 2.  RE: I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

Posted Dec 10, 2014 09:16 AM

HI,

What exactly you want to do with wired ? you mean configuring the uplink eth port or something else ?

clarify, I can help you on this.

• 3.  RE: I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

Posted Dec 10, 2014 05:02 PM

Let us know what you are trying to accomplish and I'm sure we can get you going. 

• 4.  RE: I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

Posted Dec 10, 2014 09:44 PM

Thanks so much.  

There are three things I'd like to be able to do, in decending order of importance:

1. (Most important) Get the wired devices access to the Internet

2. (Nice to have) Be able to access the wired (and ideally wireless) devices from any machine on the network by using it's name (e.g. //diskstation, //server).  

3. (Really nice to have but not critical) Make sure wired Xboxes are not NAT'ed by the AP - since I can't turn the NAT off on the cable modem.

Right now I have the instant AP plugged in to a cable modem.  Wireless devices are all getting IP's and having no problems.

I have 5 devices that run wired.  These are all connected to a switch, and that switch is in turn connected to the instant AP.  I've plugged each into the cable modem directly and they have worked - so I am pretty sure the wiring is good. 

The cable modem is plugged into Ent0 and the switch is plugged into Ent1.  Nothing is plugged into Console.

I should note that I don't have a DNS server or any sort of infrastructure other than the AP.  But I have a Synology NAS box that can run a DNS server if needed,

Thanks again!

Note:  I can attach parts of the configuration/support report if needed, but I'm planning on resetting everything to defaults anyway so I figured it wasn't worth it. LMK if it would help.

• 5.  RE: I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

Posted Dec 11, 2014 07:38 AM

Hi Friend,

I got your point,

here is the solution,

IAP 2.JPG

If you want to modify the config, follow this pic,

Select Primary usage as employee and Admin-state as up.

IAP 3.JPG

Now very important step, port connected to your switch ( in your case eth 1), 

select mode as trunk, client IP assign ment as " Network Assigned ", native VLAN asper the switch port, alloew vlan asper your requirement.

IAP 4.JPG

IAP will NAT the traffic when you choose, Client IP assignement as Virtual controller assigned , in this case IAP will provide IP to wireless Clients. 

If you choose Netwrok assigned, Clients (Wireless ) will get IP from Modem ( or from any other DHCP server )

• 6.  RE: I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

Posted Dec 11, 2014 03:58 PM

The way you stated this is that the AP is in the middle of your cable modem and switch.

Cable-Modem------Instant-AP-------Switch

You should connect the Cable-Modem to your switch and then just connect the AP to your switch.  Then all wireless traffic would connect to the AP and traverse the switch.  All wired traffic would traverse the switch and all devices would have access to the internet.  Unless I'm missing something.

• 7.  RE: I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

Posted Dec 16, 2014 04:55 PM

I followed these steps and the results have been rather puzzling.

Every site I go to gives me a certificate warning, and if I try to over-ride it I get directed to the Instant AP sign in.

It's possible that some other random thing is happening because of a setting somewhere else.  I'm going to reset to factory defaults after I get some work done for my day job.

• 8.  RE: I have an instant access point and am in way over my head.

Posted Dec 22, 2014 02:26 PM

what state are you in now?

what you describe sounds like some kind of captive portal is going on.

could you share the IAP type you are working with and the firmware running?