Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

I've set the NTP server filed, but the IAPs are still looking elsewhere

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I've set the NTP server filed, but the IAPs are still looking elsewhere

Posted May 03, 2013 05:05 PM

We have set the ntp-server fiels to our internal NTP server, and it's working. The IAPs pull time from there, just as they should.

We notice however that some of the IAPs also continue to make NTP requests to 72.8.140.222

Is there something hard coded in the IAP, or a box to check saying that I really want them to use the supplied IP address?

• 2.  RE: I've set the NTP server filed, but the IAPs are still looking elsewhere

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2013 08:26 PM

You are on your way to a support case.

• 3.  RE: I've set the NTP server filed, but the IAPs are still looking elsewhere

Posted May 06, 2013 10:53 AM

I figured.  Just hoping for a "yeah, we had that too" popup ;)

• 4.  RE: I've set the NTP server filed, but the IAPs are still looking elsewhere

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2013 10:53 AM

You just might get one or two ;)

• 5.  RE: I've set the NTP server filed, but the IAPs are still looking elsewhere

Posted May 22, 2013 12:11 PM

We had an NTP server fail and had to renumber all of the ntp callouts in every piece of hardware (Airwave made it easy for the iAPs of course) and we tried to go to a dns entry from hard IP address.

I was surprised that the iAP don't appear to do DNS queries, or they dont like our domain naming convetion internally: ntp.winco.local

Should this have worked? Am I missing something obvious or just on too old a revision? (we're running 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.1_35899 in production)

• 6.  RE: I've set the NTP server filed, but the IAPs are still looking elsewhere
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 06, 2013 07:36 AM

I'm running 6.2.1.0-3.3.0.0_38115 and it states this can either be a hostname or an IP address. If left empty it will use pool.ntp.org