Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue

Posted Jun 05, 2014 04:40 AM

I cant find a clear answer to this online or in the documentation, so am throwing it open to this wonderful community! :)

Here is the situation - i have two areas of a building, one has existing infrastructure (switching, cabling etc.) and one does not. We are proposing to install switching etc in the untouched area and use 2 x IAP105s meshed to wirelessly connect the two areas. I need therefore to be able to bridge the ethernet connection on the IAP in the new area to allow traffic from the new switches to find its way back to the main network. I can get mesh to work fine, and have enabled ethernet bridging on the IAP in the untouched area, but if i say connect a laptop to the switch in the untouched area, using an IP address in the same range as the existing network, pings dont work. So it looks like the bridging element is not working. 

Is this feature definately supported on the IAP-105 or would i need to look at using a different model?

Or am i completely misunderstanding the purpose of this feature and doing it all horribly wrong???  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks folks

• 2.  RE: IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 05, 2014 04:50 AM

1. Estanlish mesh connectiviety between two units - u did it

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/InstantMobile/Advanced/Content/Instant%20User%20Guide%20-%20volumes/Mesh_Instant_Access_Poin.htm

2. configure as bridge the ethernet port of the unit with no lan on it (the far unit) - u did it.

A.In the Access Points tab, click the IAP.
     B.Click the edit link. An Edit AP window appears.
     C.In the Edit AP window, select the Uplink tab.
     D.Select Enable from the Eth0 Bridging drop box.

3. if you want to bridge wireless and wired interfaces on the remote AP make sure that you configure wired port as an access port. The default state is trunk (802.1q tagged).

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/InstantMobile/Advanced/Content/Chapter10%20EthernetDownlink/ConfiguringEthernetPt_2.htm

That's it :)

• 3.  RE: IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue

Posted Jun 05, 2014 04:53 AM

Thanks for the quick reply - for number 3 are you referring to the switch or the IAP that should be set as access not trunk?

• 4.  RE: IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue

Posted Jun 05, 2014 04:54 AM
    the iAP unit (in the far away place) - u should edit the wired port settings (i add a link in my post - for the guide on how to do it)

• 5.  RE: IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue

Posted Jun 05, 2014 06:19 AM

Thanks kdisc98 - i've lab tested this now and it seems to be working great. One thing to note is that i was not able to set the wired profile on just the far side AP as suggested, this setting appears to be on a VC wide setting rather than AP specific. I needed to apply this setting to both APs involved in the mesh set up - but no big deal!

Many thanks again for your help! :smileyhappy:

• 6.  RE: IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue

Posted Jun 05, 2014 06:21 AM

Yep - all the setup&configure are done on the VC (and effect all the units under that VC)

glad that it works for u :)

• 7.  RE: IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue

Posted Oct 02, 2014 05:46 PM

I've just been playing with bridging and mesh with the IAP105s we have here, and while I can get it to work as advertised (Establish mesh, enable bridging on AP, edit wired profile) my question is  - since this effects the entire VC, what unintended consequences can there be from changing the wired profile?

In my case, setting Admin Status to Up in the default wired profile was what it took to make it work.

• 8.  RE: IAP-105 - Mesh and Ethernet Bridging Issue

Posted Jun 05, 2014 05:53 AM
    Edit