Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-105 won't join cluster

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 27, 2013 04:39 PM

Hi,

Having a stange issue with two IAP clusters at two different sites.  At both locations, I have one IAP which is the VC.  One location, the VC is an IAP135, the other location, the VC is an IAP-105.

When I add another IAP-105 to the network, it doesn't join the cluster.  It appears to boot, and then all 3 lights (eth and two radio lights) turn red.  We are running code ArubaInstant_Orion_6.2.0.0-3.2.0.0_36559, whihc has been working fine at a site with all IAP-135s.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this, btw I've tried the latest version of 6.1 code, and I have the same problem.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 27, 2013 05:23 PM

The usual questions:

Are the new access points on the same VLAN?

Do you see the SSID "Instant" in the air?

Have you tried connecting to the console port to watch the process?

Have you tried pre-loading the same code-rev as the operating devices on the new iAPs?

• 3.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 12:00 AM

With "Auto Join" enabled on the Virtual Controller, shouldn't the new IAP (assuming it's on the same VLAN) download it's new image from the Virtual Controller (assuming the new IAP is the same Model as the VC). Should you have to manually do this? 

Secondly, if I manually assign a Static IP Address to the 1st IAP on the Network, can I assume that it will become the VC? And I assume I would have to assign the same IP Address as the Virtual Controller IP Address on this IAP. Right? Or must it be a different IP Address?

• 4.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 07:56 AM

@eosuorah

- Yes if it is the same model, the IAP should upgrade from the virtual controller.

- No, each IAP needs a physical IP (either statically assigned or through DHCP).  You then need to establish a virtual controller IP.   This IP will bounce between IAPs, depending on which one is acting as the virtual controller.

• 5.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 09:36 AM

@clembo Thx for your response.

So this Virtual Controller IP needs to be configured on one of the IAPs right? And then shared amongst other IAPs should it go down right?

And this is configured under the Virtual Controller IP Address field?

@clembo wrote:

@eosuorah

- Yes if it is the same model, the IAP should upgrade from the virtual controller.

- No, each IAP needs a physical IP (either statically assigned or through DHCP).  You then need to establish a virtual controller IP.   This IP will bounce between IAPs, depending on which one is acting as the virtual controller.

• 6.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 01:44 PM

@eosuorah

Yes; you only configure it on the first IAP; it is then shared as part of the configuration.

• 7.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 27, 2013 10:09 PM

Just to be sure, do you have autojoin enabled on the virtual controller:

iap-autojoin.jpg

• 8.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Oct 05, 2017 01:58 AM

@clembo wrote:

Just to be sure, do you have autojoin enabled on the virtual controller:

iap-autojoin.jpg

i cant find these menu (Auto Join).

how can i find it?

i'm using virtual controller firmware version 6.5.3.2-6.5.3.2_60886.

i'm trying add IAP135 to other cluster AP (IAP207).

• 9.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Oct 05, 2017 01:31 PM

From the iAP GUI, slick on System in the upper right.

From the System pop-up menu, click "show advanced options" in the bottom left, then look through the expanded list of options to find and enable auto join.

• 10.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 08:06 AM

@wifi_guy

One other thing to consider for mixed IAP setups.   If the new IAP is of a different version than the virtual controller it will need to upgrade its firmware in one of two ways:

1) No AirWave

A different class/model IAP will have its image provided by the Aruba Cloud Server.   Make sure the new IAP can resolve and get out to the Internet.

2) In AirWave Managed Setup

If you have AirWave setup for your Instant cluster,  the images must be uploaded to AMP where IAPs of a different class/model will synchronize the software with AMP.  If you have not uploaded the new firmware to AMP, the new model IAP will not join the network.

• 11.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 10:07 AM

Clembo,

Regarding point 2.

If my VC is an IAP-135,  and my next AP to boot is an IAP-105,  if that IAP-105 doesn't join the cluster (as in my case), how do I point it to my Airwave server so that it can be upgraded ?

• 12.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 01:18 PM

@wifi_guy Image management using AirWave

If the multi-class IAP network is managed by AirWave, image upgrades can only be done through the AirWave UI. Users must upload IAP images for both classes on the AMP server. When new IAPs joining the network need to synchronize its software with that of the Virtual Controller, and the new IAP is of a different class, the image file for the new IAP is provided by AirWave. If the AMP does not have the proper image file, the new AP is not be able to join the network.

The Virtual Controller in Instant AP communicates with the AirWave server or Image server, depending on the user's configuration. If AirWave is not configured on the IAP, then the image is requested from the Image server. See “Configuring AirWave” on page 213 for steps on how to configure AirWave.

• 13.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 01:36 PM

@wifi_guy Reference the Instant AP user Guide (from Page 95) that might help you with your deployment.

• 14.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 05:58 PM

OK, so I've looked at the documentation.

I've now uploaded the Instant code for the IAP-135 and IAP-105 to my Airwave server, and they are both listed under the  Device Setup / Upload Firware & Files menu.

However, if I now go to my Group containing my IAP, and choose the firmware menu,  I only have the choice of "None" or one of the firmware files. 

I'm a bit confused as to what I would choose here, if I can only choose one firmware file, do I need a separate group for each model of IAP ?

• 15.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 02, 2013 09:31 AM

ok, so I've solved the problem.  The root cause was that the IAP-105 that was unable to join the cluster, was not joining becuase it was failing to load the new code that Airwave pushed down to it.  I noticed a checksum error when it booted, and so it was reverting abck to the old code and then airwave was trying to upgrade it again, essentially going round in circles.

One question, when the AP's are booting and getting their new code, is there any way to see whats going on remotely,  (via Airwave or the virtual controller ?).   right now, it seems we are a bit in the dark as to what is going on when the AP joins the cluster if we don't have console access to the AP.

Thanks

• 16.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Apr 02, 2013 09:44 AM

@wifi_guy Thx for the update. So can I assume you removed the Image Code and re-uploaded a new Image to the Airwave Server?

And I agree, the only I can see what's going on with the AP is to only Console into it. But I think with the Airwave Roadmap, we should be able to access the APs via Console as well.

I think I heard that during the Airheads Conference that was just recently concluded. We will have to confirm with the Aruba folks.

@wifi_guy wrote:

ok, so I've solved the problem.  The root cause was that the IAP-105 that was unable to join the cluster, was not joining becuase it was failing to load the new code that Airwave pushed down to it.  I noticed a checksum error when it booted, and so it was reverting abck to the old code and then airwave was trying to upgrade it again, essentially going round in circles.

One question, when the AP's are booting and getting their new code, is there any way to see whats going on remotely,  (via Airwave or the virtual controller ?).   right now, it seems we are a bit in the dark as to what is going on when the AP joins the cluster if we don't have console access to the AP.

Thanks

• 17.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Apr 02, 2013 10:14 AM

Hi,

In regards to Airwave, here's what I found and did.

I originally uploaded the same code version for the IAP-135 and IAP-105 and gave them different descriptions, e.g. one was called IAP-105 code version 6.2.x.x  and the other was called IAP-135 code version 6.2.x.x.

In my group/firmware menu I could still only choose one of the uploaded code versions.   I realised that because both code versions are the same (even though the files themselves are slightly different) Airwave only gives you the option to choose one of them.  This makes sense now as it ensures all AP's in the same Group, regardless of type are on the same code level.

So, now, when my IAP-105 joins my cluster, where the IAP-135 is the VC, Airwave automatically pushes down the IAP-105 version of the same code that is running on my IAP-135 VC.  

Hope that makes sense.

• 18.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Apr 02, 2013 10:29 AM

@wifi_guy Cool!

• 19.  RE: IAP-105 won't join cluster

Posted Mar 28, 2013 01:46 PM

My belief is that it technically joined, but could not upgrade.   Is your first 135 pointing to AirWave?      If so, add the IAP-105 image to AMP so that the new IAP can get it from AirWave (it will know to based upon the configuration in the virtual controller).   See the references by eosuorah .