Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-135-US Arubas possibly causing network drops?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP-135-US Arubas possibly causing network drops?

Posted May 16, 2018 04:08 AM

Hi all,
    We recently bought several used Aruba IAP-135-US units after they were heavily recommended by some friends. We're trying to transition from an overtaxed home-style network to something at least a little more robust, and unfortunately I'm in charge of accomplishing it, with no training in networking and not a ton of experience either.

We're having several problems. Summary of the biggest: plugging in one or more 135s seems to often take down our whole network, or at least our connection to our modem (thus losing internet).

More details: We had a room acting as temporary office during construction, and there was IP-over-AC between that location and the modem elsewhere in the building. A few weeks ago we switched our telephone from a traditional land-line to Vonage Business. They supplied a Netgear router to maintain a somewhat stand-alone system, and two IP phones plug into it. While we were installing the Arubas and a Netgear GS724TPv2 PoE+ smart switch to power them, we discovered that when the Vonage and Aruba equipment were connected at the same time, it would bring the network down--we had trouble pinging within the network, and external connection was gone. Just unplugging one sub-system or the other wasn't enough, the modem and smart switch had to be restarted. It seemed to work okay when only one sub-system or the other (Aruba IAPs or Vonage phones) was plugged in.

Earlier, I was experimenting with and configuring one of the Arubas at my house, and I got several notifications from my own VoIP service (Obihai, with I believe an Obi200 unit) that internet had gone out. The fact that internet connection was disrupted at not just one but two locations while working with these Arubas makes me wonder if there's something in the 135's settings, either in the defaults or that I mis-configured, which doesn't like VoIP very much?

Today the office equipment was getting moved back to its normal home, and everything now has a direct connection to the main switch. When I plugged in an Aruba today, I saw a few different reactions: everything worked fine for several minutes, then the internet died (but internal devices were still pinging alright). Or, as soon as I connected the first device to the WiFi, began seeing some ping issues. Or, working fine for at least an hour at a time. The problems seemed much less predictable today, but still reared their heads.

Other lesser issues include: 30-35 Mbps download speedtest via Aruba WiFi when Ethernet gets 100Mbps (I know hardwired gigabit is faster than 802.11n, but isn't the Aruba capable of handling MUCH faster than our 30-ish?), and one Aruba that is only operating at 10/100 according to our new switch.

Any pointers or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: IAP-135-US Arubas possibly causing network drops?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 04:17 AM

Are you plugging in the IAP-135s into the ethernet 0 port?

When it "brings down the network" is this even before you can get to configure the IAP-135 or after it is already configured?

What version of Instant are your IAP-135s running?

• 3.  RE: IAP-135-US Arubas possibly causing network drops?

Posted May 16, 2018 01:30 PM

Yes, making sure to use the Ethernet 0 port.

I attempted to configure the first one at home before even taking them to the site.  Even when the network "goes down," I believe I could still log in to the Aruba VC.

When I go to Maintenance, Firmware, Check for updates, it says something to the effect of "no new versions available," so I think I'm up-to-date?

• 4.  RE: IAP-135-US Arubas possibly causing network drops?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 01:44 PM

Is it possible that the Instant AP has the ip address of the default gateway of the network?

• 5.  RE: IAP-135-US Arubas possibly causing network drops?

Posted May 16, 2018 02:25 PM

No, I don't think so.

The gateway has a 0.1, the Arubas seem to have addresses in the teens, and the VC has one in the twenties.

• 6.  RE: IAP-135-US Arubas possibly causing network drops?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 04:56 PM

I don't have any more guesses about what could be happening..

• 7.  RE: IAP-135-US Arubas possibly causing network drops?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2018 05:01 PM

You could connect a console cable to the IAP-135 and see if there is anything strange on the console when it boots up.