Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

IAP-175s won't mesh

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting a series of IAP-175s to mesh together. I have the following setup:

IAP #1 - A 90deg 2.4/5ghz antenna @ 14dbi, a 2.4ghz 12dbi Omni and 5ghz 12dbi Omni connected to ethernet / PoE

IAP #2 - Two 90 deg 2.4/5ghz antennas @14dbi running as a mesh point using PoE

IAP #3 - Two 90 deg 2.4/5ghz antennas @14 dbi running as a mesh point using PoE

IAP #4 - A 90deg 2.4/5ghz antenna @ 14dbi, a 2.4ghz 12dbi Omni and 5ghz 12dbi Omni using PoE

Presently, my problem is that I can't even get a mesh connection to work anymore between #1 and #2. This used to work, and has been up for a few weeks now. However, today (in an effort to fix another problem) I upgraded the firmware from my VC and now IAP #2 won't mesh with #1. Physically rebooting #2 seemed to fix it for a minute (IAP #2 appeared in my VC list of nodes) but then disappeared a few minutes later and hasn't come back.

Secondly, IAP #3 has never been able to connect to the mesh. There is a clear line of site between the two locations and I previously connected IAP #3 to the hardline network (and added it to the VC) before installing it at it's site. 

I'm very new to this sort of tech, and while I've so far done decently in understanding it and getting things running so far I feel like I need more help now. Can someone please lend a hand? 

John

Re: IAP-175s won't mesh

A bit more detail:

The IAP #2 came back into the fold for a minute or two, then disappeared again. How do I figure out what's going on here? Please help!

John

More questions than suggestions.....

Please verify that all four nodes are running the same version of SW.  What version are you running now?

What is the model number of the antenna's you are using?  They do not sound like Aruba antennas by the description you provided.  How are they oriented and what will each antenna be doing?  Is Client access on one pair and Mesh on the other?  The IAP-175 is a 2x2 MIMO AP so each radio must have both leads connected and they are over-under.

It would be helpful if you post a diagram showing the AP locations and orientations in Google Earth.

I'm happy to answer all questions -- I've got a lot of money invested into this project already so the faster I get what I need done the better.

You will have to forgive me because while I'm pretty solid with software this is the very first time I've tried doing something like this on the WiFi side.

Regarding the Antennas, this is what I have. Site #2, #3 use strictly the 2.4/5ghz pointed to provide 180deg of coverage on alternating sides of the coverage area.

The 2.4/5ghz 90 degree antenna: 

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-49-58-ghz-dual-feed-dual-band-90-degree-sector-panel-antenna

The 2.4 Omni Antenna

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-24-ghz-15-dbi-omnidirectional-antenna-n-female-connector

The 5 Omni Antenna

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-58-ghz-12-dbi-professional-omnidirectional-antenna

The intention was to provide a 5ghz backhaul down the coverage area, and 2.4 coverage along the same route. 

I cannot seem to attach a .kmz file to the post, so I'm going to try to attach just an image. Site #1 and #4 have two omnis (one 2.4 and one 5) and one 90 degree 2.4/5ghz (from site 1 pointing to site 2, from site 4 pointing toward site 3). Sites 2 and 3 both have two 90 degree 2.4ghz/5ghz, Site #2 is oriented 180degrees pointing west, Site #3 is oriented 180 degrees pointing east.

John

First is the official response that the antennas are not certified or supported for the solution.   Only the antennas on the Aruba price list are supported and certified.

With that out of the way........

I'm not I follow you regarding the number of antennas attached to AP#1.  The IAP-175 is a dual radio AP and has 2 connectors for the 5Ghz antenna and 2 connectors for the 2.4Ghz radio.  It sounds like you have and issue with the number and way the antennas are connected.

For the 5Ghz antenna the Aruba equivalent is ANT-2x2-5010 which is a 10dBI antenna and ships as a pair...one is Horizontally polarized and the other is vertically polarized --- both are required to be connected for proper operation.  Please see the attached IAP-175 installation guide on page 3.  R0 is the 5Ghz radio and the ANT-2x2-5010 would be connected to connector 4 and 5.

Similarly, for the 2.4Ghz radio you need a 2x2 antenna connected to connector 1 and 6.  This antenna must be oriented in the same direction.

Lastly, with a 90 degree antenna you may be getting too far out on the fringes to get a good connectionssince your APs appear to be due North and South of each other.

Do you have photos of each AP so we can see how the antennas are connected and oriented?

This is an example of the site using the ANT-2x2-5010 (5Ghz omni pair) and ANT-90 (2.4Ghz) downtilt omni.  The red links are the mesh links and the predicted throughput is good.  The yellow coverage is ground coverage from the 2.4Ghz antenna.

I am also attaching a .zip file which is a .kmz which is the output from our Outdoor planner.  Open it up in Google Earth and you can enable and disable the lower data rates on the 2.4Ghz antenna to see additional coverage.  NOTE:  This does not take LoS or obstructions into account.

Michigan.jpg

Thanks so much for your response. I do understand that my antenna's aren't Aruba antennas and the official answer.. 

I think perhaps I am misunderstanding something about the IAP-175s and MIMO concepts in general. Like I said I'm very new to this and am sort of learning as I go. For Site 1 and Site 4 what I have is the following:

R0 - Attached to the 5ghz of my 90 degree sector

R0-1 - Attached to my 5ghz Omni

R1 - Attached to the 2.4ghz of my 90 degree sector

R1-1 - Attached to my 2.4ghz Omni

For Site 2 and 3 I have the following:

R0 - 1 - Attached to the 5ghz of the other 90 degree sector

R1 & R1-1 Attached to the 2.4 ghz of the 90 degee sectors respectively.

All of my antennas are vertically polarized. Are you saying that in order to create a proper connection I will need both vertical and horizontal polarization? 

Note, that until I upgraded my firmware today The connection between #1 and #2 was working fine and had been for weeks. It is only since I upgraded the firmware that suddenly #2 can't mesh with #1 anymore. I haven't successfully setup a mesh at all to #3. What could be causing my mesh between #1 & #2 to fail after a software upgrade? I can confirm that both are running the same version of ArubaOS (6.2.1.0-3.3.0.0_38115)

John

Thanks so much for your response. I do understand that my antenna's aren't Aruba antennas and the official answer.. 

I think perhaps I am misunderstanding something about the IAP-175s and MIMO concepts in general. Like I said I'm very new to this and am sort of learning as I go. For Site 1 and Site 4 what I have is the following:

R0-1 - Attached to my 5ghz Omni

R1 - Attached to the 2.4ghz of my 90 degree sector

R1-1 - Attached to my 2.4ghz Omni

R0 - 1 - Attached to the 5ghz of the other 90 degree sector

All of my antennas are vertically polarized. Are you saying that in order to create a proper connection I will need both vertical and horizontal polarization? 

Note, that until I upgraded my firmware today The connection between #1 and #2 was working fine and had been for weeks. It is only since I upgraded the firmware that suddenly #2 can't mesh with #1 anymore. I haven't successfully setup a mesh at all to #3. What could be causing my mesh between #1 & #2 to fail after a software upgrade? I can confirm that both are running the same version of ArubaOS (6.2.1.0-3.3.0.0_38115)

John

MIMO needs H-Pol and V-Pol attached.

R0 - should be 5Ghz Omni H-Pol

R0-1 - should be 5Ghz Omni V-Pol

R1 - Could be your 90Deg one of two connectors

R1-1 - Could be your 90Deg the other one of two connectors

R0 -   These cannot be connected to separate antennas pointing opposite directions. 

R0 - 1 -

The pattern of the L-com 2.4Ghz 90 Deg antenna does not seem to lend itself to client access very well as it is a very narrow vertical  beam and wont get down to the clients (unless it is mounted low) compared to a downtilt antenna that drives coverage down rather than sideways.  You will catch some of the side lobes but it will performa as well.

So what you're saying is I need to install 5ghz MIMO antennas (probably Omni's?) at each site to establish the backhaul. As far as the 2.4 ghz coverage, you are suggesting I may have problems with the antennas I have for client coverage but otherwise they are fine, correct?

I have a second site where I have a slightly different setup (that is presently being installed).. It is two IAP-175s where the 5ghz is transmitting using a 60deg dual polarity antenna to a recieving (ideal) antenna with 2.4 deg sectors  at each site. Based on this discussion, that should work okay correct (at least as far as antennas themselves are concerned)?

John

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: