Controllerless Networks

New Contributor

IAP-205 vs IAP-205H

Hi,

We use lots of the IAP-205RW's but for my next project I don't want to ceiling mount the access points. I've seen desk mounts for the IAP-205H. How does this hospitatlity access point compare again the IAP-205 in terms of signal, coverage etc. Are they omni/directional? They look smaller so I'm concerend they won't provide as good coverage.

Thanks,

Tom

Contributor II

Re: IAP-205 vs IAP-205H

Hi!

They are a bit smaller yes. Don´t know about coverage area compared to the regular 205. But I suspect they are quite similar.

The antenna seams to be quite directional looking at the graphs:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP205H.pdf

So not omni.

Daniel F
ACMP | ACCP | HP ATP - FlexNetwork Solutions
Contributor I

they would have slightly lower signal coverage, we are assuming due to lower specs, we did a comparison with 303h and 305 some time back, signal propagation difference about 5-10%
Contributor I

they would have slightly lower signal coverage, we are assuming due to lower specs, we did a comparison with 303h and 305 some time back, signal propagation difference about 5-10%
Contributor I

and yes they are omnidirectional
Contributor I

and yes they are omnidirectional
Aruba

Coverage of a desk mounted 205H should not be significantly different from a ceiling mounted 205, but it may depend on the environment in which the AP is placed (objects may cause more RF attenuation, etc.). The 205H (and 303H) have "slightly directional" antenna patterns, but I doubt that it will have a noticeable impact. RF performance numbers (transmit power, receiver sensitivity) are very similar.

Note that you may want to consider the 303H instead of the 205H. The 205H has been announced to go end of sale (by 5/1/2018), and the 303H is a lower cost and more capable replacement.

Also, if you're sure to use it in a desk mount scenario, we have the AP-303HR bundles, where the 303H comes with a pre-assembled and attached desk stand, a power adapter and AC cord.

There are two versions of this bundle. AP-303HR-US comes with the AP-303H-US and a North-American cord, while AP-303HR-EU contains the AP-303H-RW and a european power cord.

/Onno
New Contributor

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I've accepted this as the answer as it goes further and recommends the newer model.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: