Controllerless Networks

Contributor II

IAP-215 Hardware Model and Country Setting Question

Hello, I had a question regarding the follow models of IAP-215:

Rest of World (IAP-215-RW)

Japan (IAP-215-JP)

I was checking through the selectable countries in the -RW model of AP and noticed that Japan was present in the list (code: JP3).  I configured the -RW model AP to the “JP3” country code and pulled the allowed channels and transmit power restrictions from the CLI.

I then checked the -JP model of AP, I noticed that it also used the country code of “JP3”.  When I pulled the allowed channels and transmit power restrictions from the -JP model AP, the output matched that of the -RW model AP exactly.

I know that some countries have heavy restrictions on usage and configuration that require specific models (USA/Canada, Israel, etc) so it seems very strange to me to have a specific -JP model AP when the -RW model can be configured to the same country code with the same channel and power restrictions.

Is this a mistake in the code?  It seems like the -RW model should have “JP3” as an allowable country code selection.  For example, the -RW model AP does not have a valid country selection for the United States or Israel because those countries have regulatory restrictions that require a specific model.

Could you help clarify why both the -JP and -RW model of IAP-215 (6.5.0.0-4.3.0.0_56428 firmware version for both) can each select “JP3” as the country configuration?

Regards,

zummarius

Aruba

Re: IAP-215 Hardware Model and Country Setting Question

The critical element is that an IAP that ships to Japan (we do not allow shipments of -RW variants to Japan) are restricted in such a way that the user can only select Japan as the country of operation.

While there is no reason for a -RW IAP to support Japan (there is indeed some inconcistency there), it's not causing any regulatory concerns. However, following Japan regulatory restrictions, it would be illegal to deploy a -RW IAP in Japan.

/Onno
Contributor II

That is entirely what I expect.  It's also the reason why "US" and "IL" aren't selectable in the -RW model AP and have their own hardware version.

I would have expected the same to apply for Japan that the "JP3" option is entirely removed from the -RW model AP to prevent this from occuring.

Just seems like an oversight that should be corrected to me.

Aruba

The reason for this is historical. The rules for Japan have changed, and in the past we used to be able to ship and deploy -RW instant APs and controllers there. Things are now more strictly defined, but if we were to remove the support for Japan on -RW instant APs, we would end up with some stranded customers there who used to purchase -RW.

/Onno
Contributor II

Understood, thank you for the clarification!

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: