Controllerless Networks

Occasional Contributor II

IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

I have 13 IAP 215s spread across 3 locations that will randomly all have their utilization go through the roof and then they will stop passing traffic and the whole wifi network will go down for 5 minutes or so. Then it will come back up and work for a random amount of time before it happens again.  Sometimes it starts with high noise on the AP's sometimes not.  I opened a case with Aruba support, they gathered the logs and said they would call me back and that has been two days ago so I'm hoping someone here can help me figure something out.  

Guru Elite

Re: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

What version of instant code is this?
Which utilization are you talking about specifically?
Do you have Airwave monitoring this installation?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

It is version 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11_52666. 

The utilization meter on the dashboard is what I'm talking about.  Noise meter as well.  

I do not have Airwave monitoring this install.  I'm new to Aruba, only had these about a year and they worked great until about a week ago.  

Guru Elite

Could you provide a screenshot of the dashboard?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

It's only happening to one right now, but that's what it looks like.  It will start with one, spread to the others and take the network down, or sometimes the noise will go up on one spread to all and then cause the utilization to go up.  If I reboot all the AP's and the Firewall, it will come back up and stay for longer than if I just let it come back up by itself.  

Aruba Dashboard.jpg

Guru Elite

High utilization can be brought about by legitimate high usage or too much management traffic.  Please click on the access point heading so we can see the details of your access points (power/channel,etc).

Colin Joseph

It shouldn't be legitimate high user usage because it doesn't seem like all the AP's would be afftected at once.  

Here is the AP setup but it's not happening right now.  Capture.PNG

Guru Elite

We can't tell anything from that chart.  You need to click on the 13 access points heading so we can see the channel and power of all of your access points.

Question:  Are the clients and the access points and wired clients all on the same subnet?

Question:  Do you have "Broadcast Filter ARP" enabled on all of your SSIDs in the advanced dialog?

Colin Joseph

Sorry, here is the correct picture.  

The wired and wireless are on seperate subnets. 

Broadcast Filtering is set to ARP. 

CaptureAP.PNG

Guru Elite

All of your access points are at maximum power, which would create if not add to utilization issues and create roaming issues.  You should go to the ARM maximum transmit power and change it to 18, to reduce the effects of that.  You should even lower it to 15 if you have dense coverage.  If you can see 3 or more access points at -65 or stronger when standing in the same spot, you could turn it down to 15 and see if the utilization will go down with it.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: