Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 225 Cluster - Password loss after upgrade

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP 225 Cluster - Password loss after upgrade

Posted Jan 30, 2017 08:19 AM

Hello everyone, 

We have 4 IAP-225 configured in the same LAN with a one of them configured as virtual controller.
    After a firmware upgrade we lost access to the virtual controller GUI, the old Login/Pw combination is no more valid nor the default admin/admin is. However, the configuration seems to be OK because we still have the same SSID running as it was before. 

We already tried reset the VC-IAP to recover the password but the issue is when we do it is not the VC anymore, and it fetches the configuration from the newly elected VC.

Can you please advise how can we do to recover access to the VC ? 

• 2.  RE: IAP 225 Cluster - Password loss after upgrade

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 30, 2017 08:33 AM

Hey, I've seen this previously and had exactly the same issue. I ended up powering down all off the IAP's except one. I was then able to login to this IAP without issues. I then powered up the rest and the problem was resolved. 

• 3.  RE: IAP 225 Cluster - Password loss after upgrade

Posted Jan 30, 2017 10:04 AM

Thank you for this feedback. I also thought about this but I would like to avoid putting down the whole Wireless network at once as it will impact the production.
    I hope to find a softer way to fix this.

• 4.  RE: IAP 225 Cluster - Password loss after upgrade

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 30, 2017 10:36 AM

Just a note, have you tried logging into via the console cable on the VC? You'll need to identify which is the AP electing itself for the VC. I expect if if you have no SSH/GUI access you could check the ARP entry on the local switch for the VC IP?

• 5.  RE: IAP 225 Cluster - Password loss after upgrade

Posted Jan 31, 2017 09:42 AM

To answer your question, I did not try to access the access point using a console cable, simply because I do not have a console cable nor a serial port on the laptops we use. 

Regarding the password loss / change after the upgrade, I think that it is due to the change of the IAP certificate. The password is stored crypted in the configuration file, I suppose it is done using the private key of the certificate which might be an explanation.
    I tried to do the reset manipulation of one of IAP while all the others are down. After reseting I got access and I restored the configuration using the backup file of the pre-upgrade. I got the same issue which guided to the rootcause explained before.
    Is there a way to omit the login/password informations in the configuration file I have ? so that when I use it to restore the config it puts the default admin/admin. 

Thank you all.